Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Toyota corolla nze: toyota nze corolla2001 car has to warm

toyota nze corolla2001 car has to warm up before drive is selected at the wheels
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 years ago.

ted ritter :

Hello, please explain the condition a little more. After starting it does the engine fast idle at about 1500 rpm?
Does the engine die when putting it in gear?
Does the check engine light stay on?

Customer:

when i start and put car indrive the revs dont change.when temp. gauge reaches half ,would hear a slight drop in revs and car will drive normal from there.no check engine.

Customer:

this problem only happens when car is cold

ted ritter :

Thank you for the reply, if the check engine light does not stay on then you may be able to solve this problem by cleaning the inside of the throttle body, over time the throttle body can develop a lot of carbon to build up which interrupts air flow and causes idle speed problems. The throttle body can be cleaned by removing the intake tube from it and then cleaning the inside using a can of spray intake cleaner and a brush, the battery should be disconnected while doing this, after cleaning the battery is reconnected and the car driven for about 20 minutes , this should restore idle to the factory settings.

Customer:

the probem i am getting is transmission wise.when the car starts cold i could put it in reverse and it would move back,but if i put it drive,2or 1 the car will not move until temp. guage reaches normal

Customer:

i was wondering if a servo in transmission worn or sticking

ted ritter :

If there was a solenoid problem or electronic control problem the check engine light would be on and there would be a code in the computer. How many miles/KM are on the odometer? Even though it may not be an electronci control problem there could still be a mechanical transmission problem. Have you checked the condition and the level of the transmission fluid

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
odometer has 290000kms .trasmission level is full when warm and idling in park
Has the transmission ever been serviced and if so how long ago?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
transmission filter and fluid changed 8 months ago
Ok, I don't have an easy answer for you except that there seems to be an internal transmission malfunction, what you are describing is usually doe to internal pressure loss or worn clutches, the next thing to check would be to have a transmission shop do a line pressure test and stall tests.
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience: Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified