AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist

Toyota Corolla CE: My 2006 corolla has been shaking at idle

Customer Question

My 2006 corolla has been shaking at idle only since I got it 14 months ago ans I have trouble getting 500 km out of a full tank of gas. Last week the shaking engine at idle speed got much better by itself and I actually got over 750 km out of a tank of fuel.
Any idea what is going on?
Thank you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing just answer.

In order to better assist you, I'd like to ask you a few questions about your vehicle.

Is\was your check engine light on at any point?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes just after I bought it so the dealer fixed it by replacing the intake manifold
Gasket and the light has never come on since it has been 14months now.
The did not change the fact that the engine would shake whenever
It was idling.
I would like to check the internal resistance Of all four ignition
Coils so which or the four contacts On the coils should I
measure and what is an acceptable resistance?
Thank you.
Expert:  AMD replied 4 years ago.

Toyota does not specify specific values for a resistance check for the coils. The method we have used is to disconnect each coil while the car is running and find the coil that makes the least change in roughness and that's the bad coil.

Also cleaning the throttle body is a very common way to get rid of the rough idle, Use a good carb cleaner and clean the throttle body well, with the car off get all the piping to the throttle body and push the plate slowly and clean it with a rag soaked with carb cleaner and see if that improves your condition.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When you say to clean the throttle body, do you mean under the gas pedal or somewhere under the hood?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where exactly is the throttle body?
Expert:  AMD replied 4 years ago.
The throttle body is actually the plate that opens in the engine that lets air inside the engine. It is located at the end of the air filter piping. If you find your air filter you will see a big accordion hose that goes to the engine. It is secured by a 10mm clamp. you will take that and set the accordion hose aside and you will see a round metal cylinder with a door inside that is your throttle body. You need to make sure that the key is off and the key outside of the ignition before attempting anything with it. You will use an O2 safe cleaner which can be bought at any parts store(referred to as carb cleaner) you will spray a little bit inside and then use a clean rag to clean it, you will push the little door slowly and clean around it. You will notice that your rag will be very dirty when you clean it. Shine a light inside the cylinder and you will see alot of deposit build up. Clean it all up as best as you can and then put everything back together making sure that you didn't accidentally unplugged other hoses and that should take care of your idle problem. Please note that the vehicle might blow some smoke from the exhaust after this process, that is normal the cleaner and the loose deposits are burning. It is best to do this in a well ventilated area of outdoors is preferred.