Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

5 Speed manual transmission..stay engaged..pops..only a few seconds

Customer Question

5 Speed manual transmission, 5th gear does not stay engaged, pops out of gear, after only a few seconds in 5th gear.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer! If this is only 5th gear that this happens in then the only issue here can be the 5th gear synchronizer hub. Every manufacturer designs their transmissons differently so naturally I can understand a differing opinion from a shop that works on all makes of transmissions, but what I'm telling you here as a technician who works exclusively on toyota every day and who has been through factory training on this specific vehicle's transmisson is that this issue is going to be as I stated above. One thing I commonly see customers subconsiously do is rest their hand on the shifter when cruising in 5th gear........this may or may not be your case but understand that over time that slight force on the shifter is multiplied across the shifter cable and this causes the 5th gear synchronizer ring on the hub to get worn's worse then grinding gears when trying to shift.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
And this synchronizer hub is inside the transmission? The car has 65,000 miles on it, is there any reason that any other portions of the transmission would be negatively impacted by this problem? Would you recommend a fix/rebuild of this tranmission, a rebuilt transmission, or purchase a used transmission?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
Yes this is inside thetransmission. I recommend a tear down and inspection, replace this one hub and anything else that looks worn or damaged.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, ToyotaPro!
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had the 5th gear repaired by a transmission shop for $700 versus the $3,000 my toyota dealer wanted to charge. The transmission didn't need to be dropped out of the car. The 5th gear and the other parts the Toyota service bulletin said should be replaced can be accessed by removing the cover behind the left front wheel. It took them just a couple hours.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good. Have a great week and thanks for the follow up