Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

2002 Toyota Camry XLE, 4 cylinder, 120,000 miles. Oil light

2002 Toyota Camry XLE, 4 cylinder, 120,000 miles. Oil light and check engine light come on and intermittent wining sound like a bearing or belt. Also gets bad tapping sound. I got a code P1349, which is low oil pressure. I had the engine de-sluged about one year ago. Could it be the oil pump or more sludge? Thanks, Buzz
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this code is for a VVTi (varaible valve timing) malfucntion, in this case most likely loss of oil pressure to the VVTi oil control valve, this is why you are getting the code. If the engine oil pressure is low due to a restricted oil pickup screen for example then this code will come up. The first step would be to check the oil level and checking the oil condition, then a mechanical oil pressure gauge should be connected to check the actual oil pressure of the engine, if it's low then the cause has to be found first before doing anything else, I suspect that the oil pickup may be restricted with sludge, I would recommend removing th oil pan to inspect for this. Oil pumps on toyota's rarely fail.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What should I anticipate the cost to repair at a Toyota dealership. And, what could the intermittent wining be? Thanks, Buzz
To remove the oil pan for inspection of the oil pickup screen expect a labor cost of about $250, the cost to repair depends on what damage to the engine components may already have been done to low pressure. The dealer can check the oil pressure first to verify that it is the problem doing this will usually run about $100 and they should give you a recommendation of what to do next, the whining noise could be the timing chain. .