Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Toyota Sequoia Limited: How do you replace the motor for a

How do you replace the motor for a power antenae on a 2002 Toyota Sequoia?

ted ritter :

The antenna assembly can be accessed by removing the inner fender liner, there is a 10mm bolt holding it to a bracket, after removing the electrical connectors the antenna lead has to be removed from the radio inside, the lead can not be seperated from the motor, the radio has to be removed and then the antenna lead from the radio. The lead wire is then pulled through the dash to the exterior. A procedure I have used in the past is to cut the old wire at the antenna and attaching the new wire then pull it through to the radio.

Customer:

I'm sorry, I think I asked the wrong question. The problem is a grinding noise when the antenae is trying to go up. Apparently, there is a stripped gear. What is the repair procedure?

ted ritter :

Ok, the antenna mast with the cable can be replaced seperately, the problem most of the time a piece of the broken cable may get stuck inside and the motor has to be taken apart, stand by a few minutes and I'll give you alittle more detailed information.

Customer:

Okay, thanks.

ted ritter :

The procedure to replace the antenna nast is to first get the new mast from the dealer for an exact match
turn the radio off and let the antenna motor stop turning
remove the round chrome nut on top of the antenna mounting post
turn the radio on and the antenna will start to come out
pull on the antenna to help it come out of the motor
when the antenna mast is out compare the new mast length to the old one

ted ritter :

If both are the same feed the new antenna mast in and turn the raio on until the motor grabs the teeth on the mast and pulls it inall the way

ted ritter :

If there is a broken piece still in the motor then the motor has to be removed and opened to get the old piece out
This can be done after taking the antenna motor off the body and taking it apart right there without removing it from the radio

Customer:

Thank you very much. I'll give it a try.