Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

2003 Toyota Camry: automatic transmission..drain plug on the bottom

I have a 2003 Toyota Camry with a 2.4 4 cylinder engine and automatic transmission.
What is the proper way to change the transmission fluid? There appears to be a drain plug on the bottom if the transmission pan. Is it that cut and dry, do I just take to the plug out and drain the transmission fluid? What is the proper fluid to put into the transmission? Thank you.

Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs. I am glad you asked your question and that you are going to service your own Camry as most people don't. To answer your question, yes, it really is that easy. Just remove the 14mm drain plug and let it all drain out. Then replace the plug and gasket and refill the transmission with 3.1 qts of Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid (bought from the Dealer) and check the fluid level with the dipstick. Only use Type T-IV fluid as any other fluid or generic one type fits all fluids can cause shifting problems.

Genchi