AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
65953032

Toyota Corolla: I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla, it will not start,

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla, it will not start, and for that matter will not do anything. The dome light will not come on, absoutly nothing works. Two different shops have tested the battery, alternator, and starter, and can't find the problem. The weirdest thing is the problem is intermeten. Please help.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 2 years ago.

amd_hcds :

Hello

amd_hcds :

To better assist you, I would need a little more information

amd_hcds :

The two diffrent shops that looked at it, Are any of them a toyota dealership?

Customer:

No, can't really afford what the dealership would charge, if I did take it to them, I would like to have some idea of what is going on, that is why I used this site. I thought a correct answer would be worth the $27.00

amd_hcds :

Hello

Customer:

Hi

amd_hcds :

Your vehicle is a 2010 model year correct?

Customer:

Yes

amd_hcds :

How many mile does the vehicle have?

Customer:

50,000

amd_hcds :

Okay, your warranty might be out

amd_hcds :

Let me try to help you

Customer:

It is

amd_hcds :

Does your vehicle still have the original battery?

Customer:

No, I changed out the battery when it happened the first time, even though it checked good. I thought maybe the unit that had been used to test the batter might have been bad.

amd_hcds :

Okay, I need to know the first digit of your VIN no., Is it a J or a number?

Customer:

On sec, let me run out side and see, BRB

amd_hcds :

Ok take your time

Customer:

First is a number, the number 2

amd_hcds :

Ok

amd_hcds :

I have a few questions

amd_hcds :

Do you have any aftermarket accessories installed?Remote start?sound system?anything?

Customer:

nothing but the basic corolla just as it was purchased

amd_hcds :

Ok, Has the car been flooded or been in any sort of accident?

Customer:

nope, nothing

amd_hcds :

ok, Do you consider your mechanic to be knowledgable? The one who checked your car recently?

Customer:

yes, he always has been in the past

amd_hcds :

Great. I will give you a few things that you or your mechanic should check and these things should be the culprit

amd_hcds :

Your vehicle and loosing power completely.

amd_hcds :

It's either loosing power from the battery or ground

Customer:

ok, I hope so, my wife needs the car to get to work tomorrow

amd_hcds :

Were your battery terminals corodded? ever been corodded?

Customer:

not that I was able to tell when I changed the battery

amd_hcds :

Ok

amd_hcds :

The battery positive cable should have a fusible link embedded in it

amd_hcds :

I would check that and see if it's corodded or possible replace it as a start

Customer:

what does the fusible link look like

amd_hcds :

it is not an actual part, it is a part of the cable so you can't really see an actual part

amd_hcds :

but if you look down the battery cable, inspect for green powder like stuff, that's the corrosion i'm talking about

amd_hcds :

Here is the list of things you need to do\inspect

amd_hcds :

first take out the battery terminals

amd_hcds :

properly clean them from the inside out

Customer:

I will check that, if I can't find any problem with it, what is next

amd_hcds :

use a wire brush to properly clean everything

amd_hcds :

then make sure that the positive and negetive terminals are properly tightened to the battery

amd_hcds :

when you take the terminals to clean them

amd_hcds :

take the battery out, that should give you room to follow the wires

amd_hcds :

follow the positive wire inspecting for green powder or loose connections

amd_hcds :

then follow the negetive cable which should connect to the body

amd_hcds :

make sure everything is clean and make sure nothing is damaged

amd_hcds :

if you see any green powder or battery acid, clean it off

amd_hcds :

make sure every electrical connection at or near the battery is tight

amd_hcds :

How does the condition happen? Do you leave the the car then come to start and nothing? or does it shut off on you?

Customer:

Leave the car, come back to it after being in a store for example, come back out, get in the car and nothing, the dome light doesn't come on, the dash lights flash on for a split second then go off and nothing.

amd_hcds :

OK, your problem is defenetly a bad connection.

amd_hcds :

I will go over the important stuff

amd_hcds :

Make sure that the battery terminal is clean from the inside, if it looks like reddish rusty color then replace the battery terminal(s)

amd_hcds :

and then the battery terminal has a 10mm bolt that clamps it on the battery post and another 12mm bolt that hooks the wires to it

amd_hcds :

make sure the 12mm bolt is tight then make sure that the 10mm is tight as well, best way to check the 10mm is after tightening it try to move the terminal left and right, if it moves then it's not tight enough

Customer:

Considering that I just changed the battery, and looked at the battery terminals etc. I'm just not seeing how it could be the cables, but I will check again, for the sake of argument, A mechanic I called mentioned it might be the ignition switch, or the neutral safety switch. What do you think about either of these two ideas.

amd_hcds :

I think you should stay away from these mechanics who want to start throwing parts that are irrelevent to the symptom

amd_hcds :

Another note

amd_hcds :

I just did some research in the toyota database, I did find an article about the same condition you have

amd_hcds :

remove the battery from the vehicle completely

amd_hcds :

follow the negetive battery cable to where it connects to the body

amd_hcds :

you will see that it will connect to the body with a bolt

amd_hcds :

take the bolt out, clean the surface where the bolt connects with a wire brush

amd_hcds :

This condition may be caused by excessive resistance where the negative battery cable attaches to the body.

amd_hcds :

You will see that when you take that bolt, the negetive cable will have a ring that the bolt goes through

amd_hcds :

clean the mating surface on the body of the car

amd_hcds :

and clean the ring and the bolt

amd_hcds :

clean all that, make sure you have tight connections on the body, on the battery and the 12mm bolt on the positive battery terminal

amd_hcds :

When everything is clean and tight, I think you will have no problems anymore.

amd_hcds :

And if you do, please contact me and we'll investigate more until we figure it out

Customer:

And if we do, my wife who is beside me wants to know what to check next.

amd_hcds :

I will give you advise, at this point do not agree to replace any parts. actually if possible do the work I told you about yourself. you need very basic tools to do them.

amd_hcds :

If all what I told you was done right and it still happens then immediatly after it happens open the hood shake the positive cable and the negetive cable of the battery and see if you have a start. if not then you need to contact toyota headquarters and ask them for a good will extension of warranty

Customer:

I have all the tools I could possible need. I will do the job myself

amd_hcds :

they might grant you such goodwill. Don't give up completely on your warranty.

amd_hcds :

That's great. You can do it and I have some level of confidence that cleaning of the negetive body connection will solve your problem

amd_hcds :

because toyota is currently investigating the condition according to the article I just found. They are urging us (toyota technicians) to file a case if we encounter a vehicle with these symptoms!

Customer:

My back ground is in aircraft maintenance, so I am mechanically inclined, but my knowledge about autos is lacking

amd_hcds :

Believe me sir, I think aircraft maintenance guys are more knowledgable that 75% of so called mechanics in alot of shops out there.

amd_hcds :

Use a wire brush to clean all contact points.

amd_hcds :

And if all fails, Contact Toyota. I will look up their customer No.

Customer:

would it be possible for you to cut and paste the article and e-mail it to me. My e-mail is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX I have wire brushes, and I will do the job as you have listed it. I printed what you have typed here to have beside me when I do the job

amd_hcds :

I did not get your email address. I will dictate what the article says, it's very short

Customer:

My e-mail is lanething@yahoo

amd_hcds :

some corolla or matrix vehicles may experience a "no crank","no electrical power" condition, with all battery tests passing

Customer:

.com I broke it up so you would be able to see it

amd_hcds :

amd_hcds :

This issue is currently under investigation.Please confirm this condition by performing a voltage drop test on the negative battery terminal and a good ground point on the vehicle. If the measured voltage when cranking is greater than 0.2 volts pleasecontact the Technical Assistance (TAS) Electrical Department to submit details on anyvehicle matching the condition described in this document

amd_hcds :

If you'd like to get technical, you can measure the voltage drop from the terminal to the body. but honestly I think you'll find nothing because if the condition is not happening then you have no drop

amd_hcds :

I'd say take the bolt that connects the cable to the body clean it up very well, you might see some paint behind it, take it off with the brush to make a good contacting point

amd_hcds :

You'd be surprised how much a little bit of corossion on a ground can do to a vehicle's electrical system. Believe I have seen alot of similiar conditions

Customer:

So when I finish this, just in case it does not fix the issue, how to do I get back in contact with you, so I do not have to start over at square one

amd_hcds :

The choise is yours

amd_hcds :

You can accept my answer and if you have further questions ask for me by name

amd_hcds :

or you can wait in case you have more questions before accepting.

Customer:

Ok, I'm going to get to work.

amd_hcds :

If you choose to accept, you can still continue the chat. or post in the same question

amd_hcds :

Get to cleaning, I hope the issue resolves.

amd_hcds :

I will check back in a little bit, It's getting late for me. I might be here for another hour the most. If you had questions meanwhile let me know

amd_hcds :

Thank you for choosing justanswer

Customer:

Thank you. Your answer and my mechanical skills fixed the issue with my 2010 Toyota Carolla, I am very pleased and will use your service again if and when a problem arises. I'm very pleased that after I had finished the work the situation had been exactly as you had said. The connection between the ground and body was painted and there was no metal to metal contact, and to top it off, at the factory the auto worker must have over tightened the bolt holding the ground to the body and stripped it. After removing the paint from the ground point, I had to drill out the stripped nut which was welded to the body, and install and bolt and nut which I had in my parts bin. When I got everything back together and got my tools out of the way the car started the first time I turned the key, which an hour before when I turned the key it did exactly as I described as my problem. I'm so very happy with your service. Great job and thanks again.

AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience: Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
Expert:  AMD replied 2 years ago.

I am extremely happy that your problem is solved. I hope you never have any problems with your vehicle, but if you do please do no hesitate to ask questions here. You can ask for me by name ( my user ID on justanswer is amd_hcds) or you can put a public question and me or another expert will be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you for using justanswer.