Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Toyota prius: what causes the p3190 code to come on. I was

what causes the p3190 code to come on. I was told that oil got into my intake and that caused the problem. I checked my oil level just a couple of days ago and the level was full.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Do you have any HV codes for the hybrid system or and detail info code numbers?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
poa0f is yhe only other code on my receipt
Let me research the codes and solutions and I will get back to you with in the hour. Is that soon enough?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The 3190 code just means there is a lose of power. The P0A0F is the focus here and there are multiple things that could be causing this. There should be sub INFO codes that where set with this code. Can you call the dealer and get me this information code numbers so I can better inform you. The oil in the intake manifold is fairly normal on this engine and generally will not cause both of these codes to set unless it is severe. There are other codes that would be set also.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The dealer does not have any other codes below is a duplicate of what was written up.

Scanned system to find codes P3190 P0a0f engine wont start oil in throttle body and intake manifold removed throtle body cleaned removed oil from intake manifold cleaned manifold installed throttle body cleared codes started checked hybrid system ok road test ok. likely to much oil at oil changed oil level ok.

I feel the dealer is being untrue on these statements and I know the oil level was not over full as i checked it a few days before.

Is there a recall on this car with this code as I have found there is on the 04 and 05

There are no recalls on this car for these codes. Do you have the VIN ( Vehicle Identification Number and I might be able to check some other options. Some oil in the intake manifold is normal on this engine. It is not a matter of being to full on the dipstick.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
vin is jtdkb20u467072966

Does this sound like the dealer saying one thing and maybe all i needed was to have the codes cleared? Lets say it was 1/4 to a 1/2 quart overfull is that to much oil and could cause this issue?
Over fill will contribute to excessive oil in the intake but it is not serious or won't cause any damage anything if this was the only issue found. Clearing the code is not the fix. Something has to be causing the lack of performance. The INFO code was 204 which means it did not run out of gas and the engine output info to the Hybrid computer was inaccurate or not sent which means the engine did not start when commanded to. I would keep an eye on the oil level and see if the problem occurs again. This may be one of those rare cases where the intake oil build up could have contributed to the no start.