Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

2003 Toyota highlander: wont start..garage..Tried jump..jump starting

Customer Question

2003 Toyota Highlander won't start after setting idle in the garage. Was started once in a six week period about two weeks ago. Tried jump starting. Battery seems fine as lights do not dim when trying to start. Just makes a clicking sound.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 years ago.

ted ritter :

Hello, have the battery connections been checked, are the clean and free of corrosion and tight, I would remove them, clean them and make sure they are tight first.

ted ritter :

If the battery is good as well as all connections and there is a single click noise when turning the key it indicates that voltage is getting to the starter solenoid but the starter won't turn the engine over, in that case it will most likely be necessary to replace it.

JACUSTOMER-71tvrdi5- :

The connections are clean and tight. Actually, today the sound made when turning the key is more of a buzzing sound. Prior to that it was a clicking sound. Is the starter likely bad?

ted ritter :

It does sound like that's the case.

I will be offline for a while please reply later.