Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2005 tundra: v8..Wont..I short outstarter relay it turns over

I have a 2005 tundra v8. Won't start
And battery is good When I short out
Starter relay it turns over. Got any suggestions
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please check the following fuses:

Toyota Service :

30 amp AM2

Toyota Service :

30 amp ST3

Toyota Service :

Sorry about that; the site crashed. Do you still need assistance your starter problem?

Customer: Fuses r good
Toyota Service :

Hello. Sorry about the delay, something happened to the site.

Toyota Service :

What type cab do you have? Standard, access, dual? Wiring is slightly different

Customer: Single cab. Plain work truck nothing fancy
Toyota Service :

Thanks. When you make the starter run, how are you doing it?

Customer: Short out at starter relay. Turn key on and use
Toyota Service :

How many miles on the truck, please?

Customer: A screwdriver
Toyota Service :

And, please tell me is this is an automatic, or manual transmission

Customer: Truck has 39000
Customer: It has automatic transmisson
Toyota Service :

Ok. We need to do a couple voltage checks. Do you have a 12 volt DC testlight?

Customer: Yes
Toyota Service :

Ok. We need to verify that we have power in the park/neutral switch on the side of the transmission. Please check the following wires with the key turned to start (you are going to have somebody to help you)

Toyota Service :

On the park/neutral switch, on the side of the transmission, there is a wire connector. In the connector there are several wires

Toyota Service :

We need to see if there is power coming to the P/N switch, with the key in the Start position in the following two wires:

Toyota Service :

Power in is Blue, with a Red tracer

Toyota Service :

Power out is a solid Pink wire.

Toyota Service :

If you have power at the Blue with a red tracer, and no power in the Pink wire, the P/N switch is bad. There have been observations on the wires in the connector being corroded also..

Toyota Service :

Also: I neglected to mention one more fuse. Please check the 5 amp STA fuse. Apologies for that omission.

Toyota Service :

The 5 amp STA fuse in on the fuse panel under the dash, on the driver side.

Customer: If the P/n switch is bad, why won't it start in neutral?
Toyota Service :

Power must flow to the center wiper that allows power to go to the P or N contacts to fulfill the circuit.

Toyota Service :

If the center wiper is not touching either contact, the circuit will remain open; no power is sent to energize the relay coil

Customer: Neither wire is hot. Now what!
Toyota Service :

Did you check the 5 amp STA fuse?

Customer: Neither wire is hot. Now what?
Toyota Service :

The 5 amp STA fuse powers the Blue with a red tracer

Toyota Service :

Please verify that you have 12 VDC at both sides of the STA fuse.

Toyota Service :

Toyota Service :

Check voltages withthe key in the Start position please.

Toyota Service :

There will not be voltage present in the Blue/red wire if the Ign switch is not turned to start

Toyota Service :

When you get time, please remove the starter relay, and check for voltage in the individual cavities.

Customer: The fuse is good. The first prong on the relayon the driver side is hot. The rest
Customer: Are dead but if you short the first And second prong the starter
Customer: Will turn over
Toyota Service :

The 5 amp STA fuse is good? OK. Does the 5 amp STA fuse have power running thru it? If not, remove the lower panel under the dash, and look for the ignition switch wiring connector. Find the Black with a White tracer wire, and check it for battery voltage in the Start position.

Customer: It's hot
Customer: The voltage is good
Toyota Service :

Sorry about the delay, my wireless modem quit on me.

Toyota Service :

Apologies

Toyota Service :

OK, let me describe the power flow so we can get a better grasp on the diagnosis

Toyota Service :

Power comes form the battery, thru 2 fuses

Toyota Service :

30 amp AM2 and 30 amp ST3

Toyota Service :

AM2 goes to the ignition switch

Toyota Service :

When the key is turned to start, power flows from the ignition into a Black with a white tracer

Toyota Service :

The Black with a white tracer powers up the 5 amp fuse STA

Toyota Service :

The STA fuse protects the ECM, where power flows thru the STA fuse into the ECM

Toyota Service :

Out of the ECM, this is where the blue with a red tracer feeds the P/N switch

Toyota Service :

If you have power in the STA fuse, both sides, and no power in the Blue witha red trace at the P/N switch on the side of the transmission, you either have an open circuit between the ECM and the P/N switch, or, an issue with the ECM (which is rare).

Toyota Service :

At this point, we need to find out why there is no power in the Blue with a Red trace on the P/N switch.

Toyota Service :

Or

Toyota Service :

you could remove the ECM and ohm-test the blue/red trace wire between the two locations.

Toyota Service :

If we are not getting power to the Pink wire on the output side of the P/N switch, which is supposed to transfer power form the Blue/red wire, we are not powering up the starter relay.

Customer: Could I jump from the 5 amp fuse to the safety neural switch with
Customer: The b/r wire to start the engine?
Toyota Service :

According to the wiring diagram I am looking at, that sounds feasible.

Customer: I did that and the starter will turn over but won't start
Toyota Service :

Was the key turned on?

Customer: Yes. It turned over with key on
Toyota Service :

Then we are back to a wiring issue. If it turns over, and does not start, the ECM is looking for (and possibly not seeing) a start signal from the key switch. The 5 amps STA fuse goes form the fuse panel across the dash, to a 26 pin connector above the ECM. The wire is Red with a blue tracer, pin 15 (starting at the top, and counting across. There are a few different size terminals in this connector.). We need to find out if the wire form the connector is good to the ECM. This diagnosis will involve removing the glove box, and the ECM from its mounting.

Customer: Is this possible, instead of getting glove box out. I cut the b/r wire going to the safety neutral switch. What if I go back and put that wire back together. Then run a jumper wire to the b/r wire would it back feed the ecm and start?
Toyota Service :

Worth a shot. I did not know you cut that wire.

Customer: That did not work. So now do I remove glove box?
Toyota Service :

Yes. You need to back trace the red with a blue tracer

Customer: Ww
Customer: What gauge wire is it? Is the wire redw/ blue tracer or blue w/red?
Customer: What is the black box mounted under the ignitio
Customer: Could it have something to do with it not starting?
Customer: It goes to the ignition and then to the gear selector.
Toyota Service :

If the vehicle has a security system, the black box (if it is what I think it is) will not allow the vehicle to start, if the security box/computer is bad.

Toyota Service :

The pink wire from the P/N switch goes to the security box

Toyota Service :

out of the security box, the wire becomes green with a red tracer, which powers the coil side of the starter relay

Toyota Service :

Between the 5 amp STA fuse, to the ECM, the wire is Red with a blue tracer. Out of the ECM is the Blue with a Red tracer, and that is the wire that goes to the P/N switch.

Customer: Which gauge wire? Can't tell which connector pin they all have more than 26 pins. There
Customer: R two connectors high and three low. All have more than 26 pins. Referring to black box it only has a cable going to it from gear selector. The black box is 3/4 wide two inches long and mounted under ignition switch.
Customer: Frustrated! Please help l.
Customer: Frustrated please help
Customer: Is
Customer: Is there a problem?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer! Toyota service has been offline, would you like me to send him a message and see if he comes back online or would you like me to step in for my fellow expert and help you out here?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like help could we try a fellow expert
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 2 years ago.
The other expert asked me to step in, he is away this week. Sorry for the delay. Let's start fresh here. Do you get any clicking when you try and start? Was any work done to the truck before this issue? Does it have an alarm system?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The engine turns over but doesn't start. It doesnot have an alarm system. No one else has worked on truck. The other expert thought it might b a wiring issue. While following wires I noticed the black box mounted under ignition which only has a cable going to gear selector. This is my late fathers truck and I would like to get it running. The battery and fuses are all good
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 2 years ago.
Check something for me please, when you turn the key to the "on" position and all the dash lights come on does the check engine light function?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't no right now. I'll put the ECM and wiring back together and let u no.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sick, I'll check in later
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 2 years ago.
ok, feel better!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When the key is in the on position and all the lights come on so does the maintenance required. It is a yellow light. A check engine light does not come on. The maintenance light goes off before the other lights do
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The check engine light never comes on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has been awhile. I'm just now getting back to work on the truck. I still need your help. Do you need me to pay another 38.00?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The truck will still not start. Are u no going to help me anymore?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes this is the same ongoing problem. My truck is still not running
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why have u stopped answering?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On march 17 I checked to see if the check engine was on when key is in the on position and it is not. The engine turns over but will not start in Feb one of the experts said the truck my have a security or safey switch. There is some kind if little black square under the ignition switch. Could this b causing a problem?
Hello again. The black box, under the ignition switch is part of the immobilizer system, if it is a factory part ( it would have a ten digit Toyota part number). Normally, when this device is working properly, the truck will crank over, but no fuel will be admitted to the engine. Based on this information, it sounds quite like you have one of, or a combination of the three following items:1. A bas transponder key2. A bad transponder unit ( that is the black box )3. A bad electronic control module.The fact at the check engine does not light with the key on is indicative of a bad ECU.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's late but I will check out tomorrow. How do I find out which one it is. What I a ecu? Ecu and ECM the same thing?

ECU=Electronic Control Unit

ECM= Electronic Control Module

Both are one and the same. Sometimes referred to as the "fuel injection computer".

On the newer vehicles, the immobilizer system interacts with the ECM/ECU, and custs power to the fuel pump, if the wrong key is inserted into the engine. This is an anti-theft feature, which is supposed to disable the vehicle's starting ability, if someone attempts to "hot-wire" the ignition.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The key is plain. It doesn't have a chip in it.
If you have something under/around the ignition key cylinder, the black box you speak of, you may have an immobilizer. Can you post a picture of the area in question, with this black box? We need to see what you are talking about to better formulate a direction to get this rectified. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do give me a few minutes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a black box invaded in a silver basket mounted under have the key goes in. It has a black cable running from the back. I will send pics. If u don't get in next 15 minutes let me no
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm having trouble can u send me email address

Sorry. We are under very strict rules when it comes to personal contact off site; your e-mailing me is prohibited. This rule is in place to protect your identity. I cannot bend the rules on this. I apologize for that, and I hope you understand

You can e-mail info@justanswer.com, or experts@justanswer.com attach the picture, and request they forward them to me.. The good people there have the ability to forward the pictures to me, if that is acceptable to you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sent pic about an hour ago. Did u receive?

No. The picture has not been transmitted as of yet. Sometimes, they have a heavy influx of e-mail. I am sure that it will be coming shortly. When I see it, I will respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://imgur.com/AosKX
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know what that is but I don't think I replied that! I hope you can see from the pic that there is a black boxed encased in a silver basket. It is mounted under key switch and has a black cable running from the back.

OK I see the picture.

I believe that the device that you are showing me is the "Transponder Key Amplifier" unit. If it is bad, the engine will crank, but no fuel will be allowed into the cylinders; this is part of the anti-theft system

It is sounding more and more like you need the transponder part of the ECU interface checked.

This needs to be done by a Toyota technician with the Toyota scan tool.

Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience: 30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible to by pass this?? This is just a farm truck that is seldomly used

Sorry. No. It is impossible to bypass. I wish there was, but, there is not. Apologies.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for all your help. I will let you know. You have been awesome