Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

1994 toyota camry: 4 cyl. it is blowing the am2 fuse.

i have a 1994 toyota camry. 4 cyl. it is blowing the am2 fuse. where do i start
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

There are two electrical connectors that go to the distributor. Disconnect both of these electrical connectors. Replace the fuse and start the vehicle or attempt to start the vehicle and see if the fuse blows. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
both disconnected, attempted to start and fuse did not blow.
This is what I expected. The problem is the noise suppressing capacitors in the base of the distributor. Remove the distributor cap, rotor and plastic shield. This will expose the two wires bolted to the forward side of the ignition coil terminal. Remove the nut holding the islets and remove the wire that goes down to the capacitor. Clip the wire and you should be good to go. You can purchase this capacitor and remove the distributor and replace it from any Toyota dealer. It is basically a noise suppressor. Eventually you will need to replace the ignition coil. This capacitor has a tendency to overheat the ignition coil. If you find any burn marks or cracks in the coil you will need to replace it. Click this LINK for a better image of the damage that can happen to the coil on this capacitor shorts out. As a temporary fix just clip this wire and you can continue to start drive the vehicle. Let me know how this works out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Clip only the left wire. I did just replace the coil because of failure. It looked like a major overheat . Just replace the capacitor long term or get rid of it all together?
Your only clipping the wire that goes down to the capacitor not the wire that goes back over to the connector. This capacitor shorts to ground and blows this fuse. This is why the fuse stop blowing when you disconnected the distributor connectors. If you're keeping the car long term I would probably replace the capacitor with a new one. They are only about five dollars. Most dealers have this in stock if not they can order it for you. Short-term at least you can get the car running and drive it until you can get the capacitor replaced by clipping this wire. If you look down in far enough you will see that the capacitor is melted.
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic