Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 20+Years
28939717

toyota rav4: Question: My vsc trac & check engine lights keep

Customer Question

Question: My vsc trac & check engine lights keep coming on and off. My mechanic did the
diagnostic tests and says it's the catalyic converter. Are ther certain questions I should ask so that I know he is being honest? Should I ask him what caused the catalytic converter failure? Why replace rather than repair? Could it just be the sensors?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 2 years ago.

Paul M ASE Master :

Hello I'm Paul and I will help you with an Answer to your Question

Paul M ASE Master :

you can ask him the code number

Paul M ASE Master :

if the code is p0420 then the converter is almost always to blame

Paul M ASE Master :

this code sets when the converter loses it's ability to reduce emissions

Paul M ASE Master :

it does not generally effect the way the vehicle runs

Paul M ASE Master :

it only effects your ability to pass the emissions test

Paul M ASE Master :

just verify it's a p0420 to be sure the converter is bad

Paul M ASE Master :

you can hold off on repair as long as its running ok and you have no emission testing scheduled

Paul M ASE Master :

let me know if you need more help

Paul M ASE Master :

Paul

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I ask him what caused the catalytic converter failure? Why does the converter need to be replaced rather than repaired? Could it just be the sensors?

p0420 is rarely a sensor problem

he should verify the function of the oxygen sensors using a scan tool but it is not likely to be the sensors.

the converter can not be repaired they are not repairable there are compounds inside the converter that go bad.

as I mentioned this code sets when the converter loses it's ability to signifigantly reduce emissions and does not effect the way it runs usually.

they do go bad over time being a 2005 it is not uncommon for you to need a converter.

the only thing that would accelerate a converter failure would be an engine misfire or oil leaking into the exhaust..

if the engine is running ok then it's just an aged converter and a very common problem

Paul

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What do they do with the old converters? Are they worth anything...scrap metal. Should I verify that the replacement converter is what they say it is?

you should replace it with a factory converter

the aftermarket ones will sometimes also set codes because they are not built to factory specs

you should get the converter from toyota

the old converter is worth anywhere from 50-100 dollars but there is generally a core charge on it.. so if you chose to keep it you would need to pay the core charge

Paul

Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech 20+Years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you .

No problem

thank you for using Just Answer

Paul