Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

My 2002 Toyota Camry XLE has door lock problems. Im not sure whether it is the actu

My 2002 Toyota Camry XLE has door lock problems. I'm not sure whether it is the actuator, the master switch or both. The dirver side front door lock does not function electrically. It can be locked and unlocked with a key or from the inside manual lock mechanism by the handle. The other three doors lock and unlock electrically by using the key FOB, by turning the key twice in the door lock cylinder or by using the switches (except for the driver side). Actually, the driver side door lock switch will lock all of the doors, but will not unlock any of them. There is no clicking sound when depressed to unlock. If it is the actuator, is it possible to just replace a component within the actuator (i.e. the solenoid), or should I replace the entire actuator? If it is the switch, is it possible to just replace the lock portion of the switch or do you have to replace the entire master switch? Your guidance would be much appreciated.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 years ago.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Hi

Genchi Genbutsu :

Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs.

Customer:

Hi

Genchi Genbutsu :

The problem you have is definitely the lock actuator itself and it will need to be replaced. This actuator comes as a sealed component and it cannot be opened (except with a hammer) :) It is located on the latch piece but is held on by 3 screws.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Like this...

Customer:

I've actually opened the actuator recently and reassembled it. Is there no way to purchase just a component part? And what about my switch issue?

Genchi Genbutsu :

You can get the actuato by itself but just was sure how mechanically inclined or experiance you had. Here...

Genchi Genbutsu :

Also if what you say here... Actually, the driver side door lock switch will lock all of the doors, but will not unlock any of them. Then start with the actuator and before reassembling check for power and ground at the switch itself. If they are good then the master switch will also need replacing.

Please reply back if needed.

Genchi