Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

Toyota Camry LE: abs..gauge..brakes works fine..Cruise Control

Customer Question

Hi there,

Toyota Camry LE 2008 - ABS & Parking light comes on/off while driving or even when parked. Temp, RPM & Odometer gauge needles falls to zero; however car runs perfect, brakes works fine. Light on/off happens even when car is running on Cruise Control. Toyota Dealer checked following :-

1. Checked brakes, fluid - ok.
2. Disassembled instrument cluster and traced and tested wires from
connector to Junction Block in Engine Bay.
3. Tested for power and good connection. All wires and connectors
found to be good.
4. NOW Toyota Dealer wants to open Disassemble Dash Board for furth
Category: Toyota
Expert:  anthony-2 replied 2 years ago.

anthony-2 :

Did they hook up a scan tool and have any codes listed? This can help me to understand which wires they were tracing.

Customer:

Hi there,

Customer:

The problem is ABS & Parking Brakes light never remains contant. It comes and goes;

Customer:

hene cannot be tracked or catch on scan or computer to get the codes.

Customer:

The light is remains for a few seconds to a few minutes while the car is running

Customer:

and goes off at any time. So the scan/computer is unable to track it.

Customer:

Dealers have spent 2 days on this issue with no solution, Sir.

anthony-2 :

With out a code it is very hard to fix. That is what the dealership porbly said. It could be a sensor that is starting to go bad. I will opp out of this question maybe somebody might have another ideal. but you may have to wait till code stays on where you can scan it. Another ideal is when it comes on drive into closes dealeship do turn off car and maybe the tech can scan it on drive.

Customer:

Anthony-2 : All these are already done by the Dealer but could not get the code.

anthony-2 :

sorry good luck

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. I dealt with this exact issue recently. This is a CAN communication problem. CAN stands for controller area network. This is the high speed network that the computers use to communicate information on. When it is disrupted, strange things happen. Your dealer needs to do a health check and CAN bus check to verify communication issues. With that verified, an oscilloscope will need to be used to monitor the network at the DLC under the dash. Then, its a process of elimination as to what on the network is causing the issue. In the case I just had, it was the ABS computer causing communication disruption on the CAN network. Make sure the dealers master tech or MDT are diagnosing this as most of the techs simply aren't qualified to diagnose this system as they just don't understand what is happening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi (Boxer54) there,

I am not sure how this is going to work; however, I have a few question before I approach the Dealer.

1. For which make/mode/car you have worked for this issue.

2. How much time it took to fix this issue.

3. Did you open the Dash Board for this fix?

4. Where is the location of CAN and DLC for Toyota Camry LE 2008?

Based on your feed back I will take up this further.

Thanks for your time and help.

Mushtak.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
The car I had with this issue was a 2008 Toyota Camry. It took 2 hours of diagnosis to find and verify the cause.

The CAN is not in a central location. It is a wiring network that runs throughout the car. It is the high speed transmission network that allows the computers to talk to one another.

The DLC is simply the data link connector under the dash on drivers side. It is where a scantool is connected to retrieve information from the vehicle.

I did not have to go into the dash to fix the issue, however, depending on the root cause, it is possible that could be necessary. In the case I had, it was under the hood at the ABS computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi (Boxer54) there,

Thanks for your quick response. While speaking to the Service Advisor from the Dealer he disclosed to me that they found Error Code U 30073 during the diagnosis. They did

not tell me this nor put on the Invoice. Does this helps you in your fix?

Mushtak Mirajkar.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
The U in that code, that is a communication error. This means there is a communication disruption somewhere amongst the computers. There should, however be 4 numerical digits, not 5.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Here is the Code I got from Toyota Dealer; Correct Code # XXXXX

This is FYI and further advice.

Thanks,

Mushtak Mirajkar.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
Great, that just solidified the information I've been giving you. Download this information for that code.

http://db.tt/uSDOpgTb

That points us in the direction of the ABS computer(also called skid control ECU) under the hood. This is definitely a CAN communication issue.
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience: ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your help. With this now I am moving forward to resolve this ASAP.

However, could you please recommend some one based on what you have

suggested who can correctly fix this car problem for me. I am in Durham, NC.

Best wishes,

Mushtak Mirajkar.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
There appears to he 3 dealers in The Raleigh, Durham area. Realistically, a dealer is the best option here. Which one have you already been to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

That is correct. There are 3 Dealers and I have tried one of them. However,

unfortunately they seems to be with irgnorant technicians or simply not well

trained to understand. They want to experiment on every thing which is not

required. I have not tried other 2 Dealers yet.

What you replied makes sense and I wish to follow to resolve this issue.

That is why I thought of taking your help to go by exact issue rather than

ripping the car for learners and end up wasting time and money over it.

Who knows they may create more problems.

Appreciate your help.

Mushtak Mirajkar.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes. There is a slight possibility I can point you towards the right person.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
I thought I had a contact in the area I could send you to, but didn't work out. Heres what I suggest. See another dealer and make sure you specifically request the MDT or master tech. Print out this thread to give them as well. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok...I will do accordingly and hope this resolves my problem.

Thanks,

Mushtak Mirajkar.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, and keep me posted on the progress.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

While preparing the complete write up I could not open following link you gave :-

http://db.tt/uSDOpgTb

Can you please provide me correct web site so that I can look more information

before I approach Toyota Dealer.

Thanks,

Mushtak.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
That link works for me. It is just the basic info for the U0073 code.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it did not work for me. Gave following error :

• Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
  • Try different keywords.
  • Try more general keywords.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
For code U0073, all it says is
Description of code:CAN communication bus off
Trouble are: 1) CAN circuit or 2) brake actuator (skid control ECU)

That's it in a nutshell.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Where do you have contact to resolve this issue?

Appreciate if you can provide a few contacts.

Thanks,

Mushtak Mirajkar.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
I thought I had someone in your area that could assist with this one, but that didn't work out. Sorry, that was my only option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Do not worry about my area where you do not have contact. Pls provide me where you have contact who can fix this issue per your valued suggestion?

Thanks,

Mushtak Mirajkar.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
My next suggestion is actually way out west in Tucson, Az. Not a dealer, but a VERY knowledgeable shop with a very knowledgeable staff. I have personally worked with the shop owner and some of his staff. Would you like that shop info?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Yes. That would be great. I would certainly like to deal with some one who knows the problem and not keep on experimenting, which unfortunately the Dealers are proposing.

Thanks,

Mushtak Mirajkar.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
Keep in mind, Dan will need the car to diagnose the problem, but here is his website.

http://www.toyshoptucson.com/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your contact information. I will follow as per your suggestions.

Something I was thinking all along; what can happen if I continue to drive my car and these two lights (Parking Brake & ABS) keeps on coming?

Mushtak Mirajkar.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi

I did not get your response to my earlier post. Here it is again :

""what can happen if I continue to drive my car and these two lights (Parking Brake & ABS) keeps on coming?"

Thanks,
Mushtak Mirajkar.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
There are a couple of issues here with this. First, your gauges don't always work correctly, so you probably don't know for sure at any one time if there is a potential issue with your engine. There are also, communication issues with the computers. So, you could have an issue at any time where any computer could get bad information and behave erratically. So, bottom like is, your ABS probably isn't working and most likely, that's the only issue, but you simply don't know what weird things may start to happen.