Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

I have a 1997 toyota camry with a massive oil leak coming from

I have a 1997 toyota camry with a massive oil leak coming from the passenger side of my car. I was just wondering it was an easy fix and How much it will cost to repair.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer! This happens when the oil pump seals blow out on the car. The timing belt will need to be removed/replaced as well as new oil seals installed in the timing area. Typical charge for this is going to be $600-800 and if the water pump is leaking when this is removed that would add about $150 on top of that. There is no way around this and no additive is going to fix it sorry to say. I would NOT drive it like this, if oil pressure falls low you will ruin the engine and good used engines for these cars are not only hard to find but very expensive. Let me know if you need more input.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My pressure gauges stay at a good level. They never drop. My check engine light does stay on though. How sure are you that is what the problem is?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
The oil light will not come on unless the oil pressure drops to a critically low level. Your oil pump has not failed here, the seals for the pump are just leaking is all. And NO this will not cause a check engine light to come on either. You ask how I'm so sure- because I know every nut and bolt on your car, I'm not just a general "mechanic" rather I am a toyota specialist and I have been working exclusively on these cars for over a decade. Nothing else on the passenger side is going to cause an issue like this out of the blue. Those rubber seals break down and get brittle over time until they just let go.