Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Toyota Camry LE: 92 camry will not start changed the dist.,

Customer Question

92 camry will not start changed the dist., coil,and ignition module.
what else can I check
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 years ago.

ted ritter :

Hello, did you check for spark to the spark plugs?

ted ritter :

There are certains steps that need to be checked starting with spark confirmation,the next step depends on whether there is fire to the spark plugs or not.

ted ritter :

I see you have gone offline so it's not possible to continue in the chat mode.

Customer:

My timing light indicates that there is no spark coming to the plug

Customer:

the plugs are new

ted ritter :

thanks for the reply, check to for battery voltage to the plus side of the coil or at the B+ terminal of the diagnostic connector under the hood.

ted ritter :

with a testlight or voltmeter check both sides of the EFI fuse.

ted ritter :

with the key on for both tests

Customer:

12 vdc and the efi fuse is good

Customer:

i loaned my car out and buddy said it went dead after he boosted someone

ted ritter :

Does the engine turn over but not fire up?

ted ritter :

When turning the key on do the dash lights turn on as well as the check engine light?

Customer:

yes , no spark to the plugs

ted ritter :

Ok, so you have battery voltage to the B+ terminal at the check connector is this so?

Customer:

yes

ted ritter :

Did you check the other fuses on the inside at the fuse panel at the left loer dash?

Customer:

all fuses are ok

ted ritter :

Check the airflow meter connector.

Customer:

it is connected

ted ritter :

With the key on put a jumper wire in the diagnostic connector between the terminals TE1 and E1 and observe the check engine light, it will start flashing, I'm looking for a trouble code, if there is one the light will flash a two digit code, for example a code 12 would be one blink followed by two, let me know if there is a trouble code. So far with what you have told me there should be spark.

Customer:

one flash pause , 4 flashes

ted ritter :

Ok, let me see what that is be right back.

ted ritter :

That is a code 14 meaning the ECM did not get a confirmation signal that there is spark, did you replace the coil and igniter module both?

Customer:

yes

ted ritter :

Did you replace the engine control module (computer)?

Customer:

no

ted ritter :

There is a chance that when your friend jumped the battery to another car that the battery may have been connected backwards for an instant, this could have damaged the computer . with everything that has been checked and the parts that were replaced i really don't have any other place to go with this.

Customer:

I assumed the ecu was damaged , I thank you for your help

ted ritter :

You're welcome, best of luck and please click on 'accept

ted ritter :

'

Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience: Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified