Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

1998 toyota sienna: speed diagnostics..speedometer

I have a 1998 toyota siena and it needs a speed sensor according to diagnostics.I bought a sensor from the dealership but cannot find where it goes.According to parts dept of the dealership it goes on the transmission but did not find it.My speedometer does not work. Can you help me out ?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer! Can you upload a picture of the new part so I can see which sensor you are installing please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I can but how do i send it to you
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
If you are using internet explorer or firefox there is a tool bar in the box you type in to sendit to me. Or you can give me your van's vin# XXXXX the part # XXXXX this sensor and I can better assist you that way too.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

vin # XXXXX XXXXX and the part no. is 89411-32020-D
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. That's the main input shaft speed sensor. You are not going to locate this from under the hood. You need to lift the van up, its located on the top of the differential casingof the transmission. Locate the front drive axles under the van, they go into the differential casing. On the top/back of this casing is where this sensor is located and yes its a pain to get to. There is an electrical connector plugged into it that needs to be unplugged and then a 10mm bolt holds the sensor to the transmission. The o rings tend to seize to the case on these so you're probably going to have to pry the old sensor out.