Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  17 years hands on,Experience cars and trucks, gas and diesel
41577536

How do I replace front left wheel bearing on 2004 Toyota Tundra

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 2 years ago.

Pavlin Koev :

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.

Pavlin Koev :

it will take me little time to prepare the instructions for you.

Customer:

Thanks

Pavlin Koev :

is this play sideways, it will normally it will be tie rods loose

Pavlin Koev :

if you put jack under lower control arm and lift it where is play felt

Pavlin Koev :

is it possible to check now?

Pavlin Koev :

when you grab the tire one hand on top and one at the bottom and try the play is it different then if you go shake the tire when your hands are in middle of tire

Pavlin Koev :

Can you please tell me is thisXXXXXorXXXXX/p>

Customer:

After I put on the tire..there was movemnet from top to bottom and side to side when you grasped the top & bottom and sides of the tire...the truck was on a lift at the time...can't check right now.

Pavlin Koev :

do you hear rumbling noise as you drive

Customer:

it is a tow wheel.

Customer:

That is to say a two wheel...sorry

Customer:

No, just feel some vibration

Pavlin Koev :

ok, I feel you will have to inspect steering ends. will send you file shortly just stand by

Pavlin Koev :

3.4 or 4.7 engine

Customer:

4.7

Pavlin Koev :

will send some more shortly

Pavlin Koev :

please click HERE

Customer:

There is no...grease cap...it appears that it is one unit...probaly pressed in...???

Customer:

also not a 4w drive

Pavlin Koev :

it is ok, you still have to remove the hub to replace bearing

Customer:

yes but is it preased on...I was told that it is

Pavlin Koev :

it is yes

Pavlin Koev :

after you remove it, you can take it to a shop to remove it for you,

Pavlin Koev :

as it has to be on the press

Customer:

Thank you..anything else..I need to know?

Pavlin Koev :

Not sure as do not know what is in your tool set.

Pavlin Koev :

there are 4 bolts holding the hub

Pavlin Koev :

you will need special snap ring plyers

Pavlin Koev :

to remove in order to press out bearing

Pavlin Koev :

I will suggest you remove bearing hub assy and take it to a local shop to press out and press in the new bearing.

Pavlin Koev :

when pressing new bearing in, it is important not to damage it.

Pavlin Koev :

when you are pressing in the HUB the other side of the bearing has to be supported otherwise bearing will be damaged

Pavlin Koev :

Full Size Image

Pavlin Koev :

here is another image

Pavlin Koev :

one other thing is, when you remove the 4 bolts holding Hub bearing assembly to spindle, it is usually hold by rust into the spindle. So you will need to hammered out

Customer:

I have extensive tools and press...have some experiance as a mechanic...been about 30 years since my last work sooo..thought, I would get some insight before I just dove/tore into it.

Pavlin Koev :

it is about 1 hour job it is not that bad

Pavlin Koev :

sounds like you have all you need

Pavlin Koev :

oh one more thing

Pavlin Koev :

usually inner race of the old bearing will be stuck on the hub shaft

Customer:

Thanks,

Customer:

Hank

Pavlin Koev :

the easiest way is to use grinder to cut a line and then crack it with a chisel

Pavlin Koev :

and that is all about it

Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience: 17 years hands on,Experience cars and trucks, gas and diesel