Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2009 toyota corolla: front defroster is not blowing air.

have a 2009 toyota corolla. The front defroster is not blowing air. Is there a fuse to check. Heater is blowing great and some air is coming out through defroster but most through front vents.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Do you have automatic climate controls or manual levers and dials? How many miles are on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Manual levers and dials. When set to just the defroser - all the way to the right the majority of the air comes through the vents. When set to feet and defroster it comes through vents and floor...both setting a minimal amount is coming through defroster vents at window.

About 45,000 miles

The manual air-conditioning uses control cables from the dial itself. It sounds like the cable is either come off or the dial that controls the cable is slipping. This is normally covered for three years and 36,000 miles. You're on the very outside edge of the time depending on your miles. Do you have the ability to pull the control panel and or the cable to see where it attaches and if it is damaged? More than likely you're going to find that the air mix control damper has come loose or the cable is damaged. The air mix control damper is what controls the air flow to the different modes levels.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is there a way a regular person can pull the control panel? Or do I need to take this problem to Toyota. Unfortunately, I am past the 36,000 mile point.

My husband can do some work on cars but he is in no way a mechanic. Can you give him steps to pull the panel?

Is not overly difficult to do the work itself the problem is trying to explain to you how to do this in this type of format is probably a bit much. There are several plastic panels that have to be removed in order to gain access to the actual control panel itself. Most of these panels are snap in place type panels. By that I mean there are snap clips that hold the individual separate panels into the dash panel itself. If you want to try and save some money and your husband is reasonably mechanically inclined or you for that matter you can go to www.techinfo.Toyota.com this is the official Toyota website that will have all of the removal instructions. Unfortunately this is not free I cannot copyright or paste these pages to this website. They charge $15 for a two-day subscription. You can easily download any PDF information to do this job within that time frame. The files would be located in folders under the air-conditioning interior and then control panel removal instructions. It will have all of the illustrations and step-by-step directions. Other than that you're probably going to need to take it to the dealer. Even if he gets it apart without knowing how the system functions and having firsthand repair knowledge on this system he could get in over his head very quickly.