Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Toyota Sienna LE: I just change a timing belt on a 2004 toyota

Customer Question

I just change a timing belt on a 2004 toyota sienna and I think I made a mistake in setting the timing because after i put everything back it did not start and it has a boom boom boom sound from the throttle and a tak tak tak sound from the engine when I forced to crank it for a longtime. It also has a smoke coming out of the muffler. please help me .. I hope I did not damage the engine.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs. Did you go back and recheck the timing belt marks?

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not yet but I will be doing that today. I thought I set the timing belt right but I realize i probably did it wrong. what I really need to know is how to set it really right. I think the thing that confuses me was how to set it in the crankshaft. . There's a small nipple in the engine housing and I aligned the small hole in the crankshaft sprocket with it but the mark in the new timing belt seemed to be not aligned. ( Does the arrow in the belt supposed to be aligned with that small hole in the crankshaft pully?)
All three should align. In fact there are 3 marks on the new belt one for each camshaft and the other for the crankshaft. When you line up the crank pulley dot and the dot on the engine, then just line up the belt mark with these two. Reinstall and you will be good.

Genchi
Experience: Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I did lined up the dot (hole) found in the crankshaft sprocket with the small nipple on the engine housing and the mark on the belt seemed to be not right. Well, I'll check it again.

( Does the arrow in the belt supposed to be aligned with that small hole in the crankshaft pully?)

Yes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks! yes and it worked. I found out that there are two marks. one in the crankshaft sprocket and there's another in the thin sprocket that is behind the crankshaft sprocket. Also first I lined up the crankshaft pully mark to the number zero in the plastic timing belt cover.

There seemed to be a slight tik tik tik sound in the engine ( sometimes hardly notice) could this be a problem in the long run for the engine? Also the check engine light is still there. what could be the reason?

I doubt the noise will be a problem and as for the check engine light, did you clear the computers memory or clear the codes by disconnecting the battery?

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

while I was working on the timing belt I disconnected the negative from the battery. Please explain the process of disconnecting the battery in order to clear the codes or the computer memory.

To clear the codes you can use a scantool or the local auto parts store will do it for you. You can also disconnect the battery for 3-4 minutes.

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, do i have to totally disconnect the battery or just one side?

Just one side.

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is that the positive or the negative.

Negative.

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i will go and try

Thanks.

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it worked but not for long. When I disconnect the battery for few minutes then connect it again the check engine was gone but after a while the light came back. What could be the reason?

We need to check the computer and see what code is stored. Check and let me know.

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I could not come back to you earlier as i've been very busy with other works but a friend check the code with a code reader and he mentioned that it's showing about the crankshaft. I don't know exactly what the code number is but I told him to let me know may be tomorrow or after.

Ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So sorry, still couldn't get code reading yet. Been so busy at work. I was wondering if it could just be a bad 'crankshaft position sensor' that caused the the check engine light to be on and the reader showing about the crankshaft.

Where the crankshaft position sensor located? Any way I am trying to get the reading asap and will let you know.

It could be a crankshaft sensor but I think it was more to due with the timing belt issue and yes, we would need the code to be sure. The crankshaft sensor is located at the bottom pulley (the crankshaft) near the harmonic balancer.

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again, finally i could have the reading done. Here's it, P0016 and P0018 it says - crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation - bank 1 Sensor A. Please let me know your advice onn this.

Thanks again

Expert:  anthony-2 replied 2 years ago.

DTC P0016 CRANKSHAFT POSITION -CAMSHAFT

POSITION CORRELATION (BANK 1 SENSOR

A)

DTC P0018 CRANKSHAFT POSITION - CAMSHAFT

POSITION CORRELATION (BANK 2 SENSOR

A)

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

Refer to DTC P0335 and P0339 on page 05-113.

DTC No. DTC Detection Condition Trouble Area

P0016

Deviation in crankshaft position sensor signal and VVT sensor

1 signal (2 trip detection logic) Mechanical system (Jumping teeth of timing belt, belt

stretched)

P0018 ECM

2 signal (2 trip detection logic)

WIRING DIAGRAM

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

HINT:

Read freeze frame data using the hand-held tester or the OBD II scan tool, as freeze frame data records

the engine conditions when a malfunction is detected. When troubleshooting, it is useful for determining

whether the vehicle was running or stopped, the engine was warmed up or not, the air-fuel ratio was lean

or rich, etc. at the time of the malfunction.

1 CHECK VALVE TIMING (CHECK FOR LOOSE AND JUMPING TEETH OF TIMING

BELT) (See page 14-84)

NG ADJUST VALVE TIMING (See page 14-84)

Expert:  anthony-2 replied 2 years ago.

The problem is that the timing is not on correctly. I shall send the proper procedure. Also make sure that the belt that you got is for the 3mz 3.3 and not the 1mz 3.0 engine

Expert:  anthony-2 replied 2 years ago.

1. REMOVE ENGINE MOUNTING BRACKET RH
    1. Remove the 2 bolts, the nut and the engine mounting bracket RH.
  1. REMOVE TIMING BELT GUIDE NO.2
  2. REMOVE TIMING BELT
    1. Set No. 1 cylinder to TDC/compression.
      1. Temporarily install the crankshaft pulley bolt and the washer to the crankshaft.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Turn the crankshaft clockwise, and align the timing marks of the crankshaft timing pulley and the oil pump body.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Check that timing marks of the camshaft timing pulleys and No. 3 timing belt cover are aligned. If not, turn the crankshaft 1 revolution (360°) .
      2. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. If re-using the timing belt, check that there are 3 installation marks on the timing belt as shown in the illustration.
      1. If the installation marks have disappeared, put new installation mark on the timing belt before removing.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Set No. 1 cylinder toapproximately 60° BTDC/compression.
      1. Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise by approximately 60° .

NOTICE: If the timing belt is disengaged, having the crankshaft pulley at the wrong angle can cause the piston head and valve head to come into contact with each other when you remove the camshaft timing pulley and camshaft, causing damage. So always set the crankshaft pulley at the correct angle.

1. Remove the timing belt tensioner.

NOTICE: Do not install the tensioner as it removed.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Remove the timing belt in this order.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  anthony-2 replied 2 years ago.
  1. INSTALL TIMING BELT
    1. Remove any oil or water on the pulleys, and keep them clean.

NOTICE:

• If there is a trace of water and/or oil on the timing belt, repair the leakage and install a new timing belt.
  • Wipe only the pulleys; do not use any cleaning agent.
    1. Inspect the idler pulleys.
      1. Check that the idler pulley turns smoothly.
      2. Visually check the seal portion of the idler pulley for oil leakage.
    1. Inspect the water pump.
      1. Turn the pulley, and check that water pump bearing moves smoothly and does not make noise.
      2. Visually check the drain hole for coolant leakage.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

NOTICE: To prevent contacting the piston head and the valve head, set the crankshaft pulley at 60° BTDC/compression position.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Using SST, turn the camshaft pulley, and align the timing marks of the timing pulley and the No. 3 timing belt cover. SST 09960-10010 (09962-01000, 09963-01000)

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Turn the crankshaft, and align the timing marks of the crankshaft timing pulley and the oil pump body.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Face the front mark on the timing belt forward.
    2. Align the installation mark on the timing belt with the timing mark of the crankshaft timing pulley.
    3. Align the installation marks on the timing belt with the timing marks of the camshaft timing pulleys.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Install the timing belt in this order.
      1. INSTALL CHAIN TENSIONER ASSY NO.1

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  anthony-2 replied 2 years ago.
Be carefull when installing the belt because this engine is an interference design which can bend valves if done improperly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, finally after reopenning and resetting the timing belt I think I got it right and the check light went off and running well. But shortly after that the car won't start at times not even a click when starting it but battery is ok. Sometimes all of a sudden would start but right now it won't. I got the code reading done and here are the codes - P0353 - Toyota manual says' ingnition coil "C" (or #3) primary or seconday circuit malfunction and P0356 is "F" (or #6).

Which one is C and F and how do I proceed with this thing?

Expert:  anthony-2 replied 2 years ago.

Hi it sounds like you have two bad coils. Number 3 which is located in rear of vehicle next to fire wall. Number 6 which is in front of engine next to radiator. I would first remove number 6 coil and swap it with number 1 next to timing belt. number 6 is next to transmission. then reset check engine light and see if the code reads number 1 (P0351). Then if does change i would get to rear one change spark plugs and number 3 coil (in the middle)and put back. Then test drive. If the first step doesn't work swaping coils you need to check compression and spark plugs, Good luck let me now.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Can I still have a follow up question? I tried to rectify what you said earlier, changed one coil and it worked but a few days ago while driving all of a sudden the check engine light came on and started blinking and engine runs a bit rough. I checked it with a core reader and P0303 code came out? and it says #3 cylinder is misfiring or something... What should I do?
Expert:  anthony-2 replied 2 years ago.
Hi did you put a new coil in number 3 cylinder. Which is the rear middle cylinder (near firewall). Also check connector going to coil. If you put new coil in there not used.next step is to pull out plug and see what it looks like. You may have to take a compression reading. I think the engine is ok because the misfire went away for awhile. I am suspecting coil. Or possible injector. Let me now.