Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine

1997 Toyota Camry: motors..relays..radiator fan..coolant temp sensor

I have a 1997 Toyota Camry where the radiator fans are not coming on. Fan motors work, relays are good, changed the radiator, thermostat, and radiator fan switch at the bottom of the radiator thinking that one of them had to be the issue.....mainly the fan sensor switch,( I even bought a second one thinking the first was a bum switch... I haven't changed the coolant temp sensor yet...I wanted to get someone's opinion first. there are two sensors on the top hose going into the engine....one controls the instrument panel gauge but I don't know what the other does...Could this be the issue? Please help.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 2 years ago.

Genchi Genbutsu :

HI

Genchi Genbutsu :

Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Do both fans come on when you turn the air conditioning on?

Customer:

both fans come on when I pull the plug from the switch. I believe that one fan comes on when I turn the A/C on but not sure about that...should both fans be coming on when the A/C is switched on...or just one

Customer:

I can check really quick if you would like

Genchi Genbutsu :

Both should come on. And the 2 sensors on the coolant intake next to the head are the Engine coolant Temo sensor(on left) and Water Temp sender No.1 (on right).

Customer:

let me check really quick ok?

Genchi Genbutsu :

You can check the fan operation but please let me know what started this concern?

Customer:

yes both fans come on when A/C is on.....what started the concern was noticing that my radiator was steaming.....watched things for a while and saw that my fans were not coming on.....as soon as i disconnected the sire from the fan switch...fans kicked on and cooled down the radiator

Customer:

again i've replaced the switch twice thing that the first was a faulty part....replaced the radiator, and just replaced the thermostat yesterday

Customer:

checked all the relays....seem to be good...even switched them out with my brother in laws camry with no luck

Genchi Genbutsu :

Ok, if you run the engine at 2500 rpms for say 10 minutes, does the fan turn on and cool the engine off?

Genchi Genbutsu :

Please try and let me know.

Customer:

no

Customer:

i tried that already

Genchi Genbutsu :

No fans turned on?

Customer:

no

Genchi Genbutsu :

Does the dash temp gage go into the red zone?

Customer:

no.....engine always stays in the normal operating range

Customer:

just below half way mark

Genchi Genbutsu :

Somethings not right here. Have you tried draining the cooling system and refilling it to make sure that there are no air pockets in the system?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

i know...its really weird

Customer:

thats why im talking to you hoping to find an answwer

Customer:

if there do happen to be air pockets in there will that prevent the fans from coming on ever?....even if the radiator is steaming its soo hot?

Genchi Genbutsu :

there do happen to be air pockets in there will that prevent the fans from coming on ever?....

Genchi Genbutsu :

Yes.

Genchi Genbutsu :

even if the radiator is steaming its soo hot?

Customer:

does the water temp sensor have anything to do with telling the fans to turn on?

Genchi Genbutsu :

Im not worried about the assesment that the radiator is hot. Just run the engine as long as it you need to so the fans kick on. Do not worry about steam or how hot the hoses feel, just watch the temp gage and make sure it doesnt go into the red. Run it at 2500 rpm and see.

Genchi Genbutsu :

The one at the bottom of the radiator does but not the others.

Customer:

thats what i thought too

Customer:

so you will wait for me to do this?

Genchi Genbutsu :

I will have to switch the Chat to a Q&A session and we can continue. Just check for responses via Email.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Is this ok?

Customer:

how do i respond ?

Genchi Genbutsu :

The response will be via Email and then just reply back. It easy.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

sounds good

Customer:

will go start car now

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Please reply back when needed.

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fans did come on!!!! Success......I don't understand why so much steam comes off of the radiator?

I was trying to not sound rude but visually checking the radiator is not a qualifying criteria when checking the fan operating. Thank you for taking my advice and testing the system again and am glad it is fixed. Good work!

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just one last question....I'm going to accept your answer.....thanks so much....just wondering if you have an idea as to why the radiator is steaming before the fans kick on....I don't ever remember the radiator doing that as long as I've owned the car

It is either from the coating that is put on by the maker or it is just residual coolant that got on and is just 'burning' off. It should subside and go away over time.

Genchi

Experience: Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine