Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Toyota Tacoma: My brake lights stay on after I shut the engine

My brake lights stay on after I shut the engine off.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Try reaching down and pulling up on the brake pedal to see if the brake pedal is slightly down and if the lights go out. If they do not reach up under the dash following the brake pedal assembly and locate the brake switch. If you release the lock tab on the electrical connector by pushing down on the tab on the connector going to the brake light switch then remove the connector from the switch do the lights go out? If they do this means that the switch is out of adjustment or the switch contacts are stuck closed. This is about the only thing that can cause the brake lights to stay on unless you have some sort of aftermarket towing package which may have a electronic switching box that could shorted causing the lights to stay on. Let me know what you find. I have to step out for a couple of hours for church then will be back. If you need additional assistance feel free to reply and I will get back to you.