Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

1997 corolla: Starter will crank.

1997 corolla will not start. Starter will crank. Very moist the last couple of days outside. Did'nt need the car the last 3 days so the car sat. Started fine prior to today.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Have you checked for spark at the end of the plug wires yet? Does the engine appear to be cranking over normally or does it sound like it's cranking over unusually fast? When the key is in the on position does the yellow check engine light illuminate? Have you checked for any possible malfunction codes that may be set in the engine control computer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
May be crnking a little faster. Yes the yellow check engine lite is on...Hav'nt checked codes or spark at ends of the plug wires.
Do you have access to a scan tool/code reader? Do you have a compression gauge or can you run a cylinder compression test? How many miles are on the vehicle? Do you have any service history recently leading up to this problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just got the car started!!! Went back out and cleaned the battery terminals with a piece of sandpaper. I'm not sure if this was the reason it started or not? What do you think? The way the starter was cranking and the duration I was getting out of the battery, I would never have thought it was a battery, battery conection or starter. But it may have been the cable connection.

Thanks

I'm glad to hear that you got it started. However based on your previous description it does not sound like a loose cable connection. If the engine was cranking over and possibly slightly faster than normal the battery should have been sufficient along with the cable connections. let me know how things go if it continues to not start. It's possible that you could have flooded it due to worn spark plugs or plug wires.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was told a long time ago never to press the gas petal with a 1990 Camry because the fuel sending unit pulsas fuel automaticly when starting... I have used this same practice with the Corolla. I do'nt think it was flooded. I will let you know if I have any more problems or find a definate reson why it did not start. Thanks again for you help.
Technically speaking it does not matter on an electronic fuel injected vehicle whether you touch the accelerator pedal or not. The cylinders can easily be flooded due to poor firing of the spark plugs if they're worn excessively. It's not a matter of too much fuel it's a matter of not enough spark for the fuel introduced into the engine. Check your secondary ignition make sure that is in good condition and the ignition coil is not cracked. The Ignition coil located under the distributor cap and is mounted to the base of the distributor. They are common to fail.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand what your saying now ... The car has 240,000 miles on it and I have changed spark plugs, wires, and a timing belt one time. Thats all that has been done to the motor. Maybe it is time to change some more of the original parts. I definatly got my moneys worth out of them. Thanks again.
I would say that is probably a fair statement and good cost averaging per mile. However it may be time to look into some of those things so you don't get stranded.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Agreed... Thanks
You are welcome.
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic