Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

1998 Toyota Camry: wont system

My daughter has a 1998 Toyota Camry that sat for a few months without being driven, we got in and there was no power at all, we replaced the battery cleaned all connections, got in the car put in the key and there is power to the car but it won't start. There is a light flashing to the left of the dash and according to the manual it says it's the deterent security system. Is there a way to override the system?

Try using the key to lock the driver's door twice then unlock twice. open the door and try to start it. If not do the following:

remove the key from ignition

disconnect the negative battery cable

put key back and turn to the On position leave the door open reconnect the battery.

Let me know if any of this worked.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We can't try this until tomorrow can I leave this window open? Also the key we have is not the original that was with the car when it was brand new it's a copied key.
Thanks for the reply, I think that may be the problem, do you know if the car came equipped with the engine immobilizer system, did this key work before replacing the battery? Just reply here again tomorrow.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It did come equipped with the immobilizer system. The key we have did work before the battery died. Our daughter also said that she never noticed that security light coming on and now it's blinking. By changing the battery does that re-activate the security system or immobilizer system?
Disconnecting the battery has no effect on the immobilizer system. But it can arm the theft deterrent system not allowing the car to start. Try the two reset procedures I mentioned earlier and let me know if it worked or not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much, we will let you know tomorrow.
You're welcome I'll check back then.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
None of that worked, are we being charged for every question we ask?
No, you are only charged once by the site.Does the engine turn over but not start? If so it sounds like the computer is not recognizing this key. Is the key a black handle master key? Do you have another key to try?Try turning the key from lock to on 5 times, remove the key see if that resets it>
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey thank you so much for your help, we removed the fuse attached to the light that was flashing for the deterent security system and it started right up :)
Thanks for the update, it now sounds like it had an aftermarket alarm installed, I could be wrong but it doesn't really matter now, thanks again.