Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2006 Toyota Sienna: vibration..speeds..the front brake rotors..pads

Customer Question

I have a problem with a shimmy/vibration on my 2006 Toyota Sienna when apply the brakes at speeds greater that 40 MPH. I have changed the front brake rotors and pad twice over the last 3 months. I installed premium Raybestos rotors and pads. I am not sure if the front brakes are still the problem. Could the rear rotors and pads cause the shimmy/vibration or could there be a problem somewhere else?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

yes, the rear rotors can cause the vibration.

to find out if they are the problem, take your sienna on a test drive and get up to highway speed. Now brake by using the parking brake only. MAKE SURE TO HOLD THE PARKING BRAKE RELEASE while you gently push down on the parking brake pedal(this prevents the parking brake from locking up.

If it vibrates, then the rear rotors are warped. If not, then the rear brakes are fine.

If ok, then the front hubs need to be checked for excess runout with a dial indicator. A hub with excess run out will make the brakes behave like they have warped rotors as the rotor sits on the hub face and if it is not true, then the rotor acts like it is not true either.

If excess runout found, replace front hub(s)
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have rear disk brakes on my Sienna. Isn't the parking brake system different from the hydraulic disk brake system? I am struggle to understand how a parking brake can test the rear disk brake. Isn't the parking brake a shoe and drum cable system on the inner portion of the rear brake integrated rotor-drum or am I thinking about something else? Also, can the front hubs go bad? The front brakes were fine for the first 85K miles of the Sienna's life.

Thanks,
Gino
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, sorry, was thinking of the rear drum option. yes, on the rear disk the shoe is inside the drum.

no real test for them if test driving. you would need to measure the rotors for runout and thickness variation, just as on the front rotors and replace if needed

Yes, hubs can go bad. the sealed bearings can wear some, which can cause either play in the hub or cause the hub to angle slightly, which would cause excess runout when measuring with a dial indicator.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.