Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine

Toyota Camry: I have a 2007 Camry keyless remote that works

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Camry keyless remote that works and one that does not but starts the car and opens the doors. How can I program the buttons on the one the one that just opens the doors as a key not remoetly.?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 2 years ago.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Did they say why they could not program the keyless entry to the vehicle? Did you see them try?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Did they say why they could not program the key less entry to the vehicle? Did you see them try?

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They did not say they could program it. They were supprised that they could not.

Is there a procedure I could follow to try to program it.

There isn't a procedure because it requires using the Techstream scantool. This is why I asked if you had seen them trying. Not all Techs are completely up to date when it comes to programming keyfobs and this was the first year Toyota made it mandatory to use the scantool in order to do it. I would re contact them and ask if this is what they used or see a different Service Adviser/Technician. The fact that your other remote still works means that the system is good.

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the scantool to program the chip to start the car?. They programed the smart key to start the car and open the doors with the key and not he buttons.

Is the scantool to program the chip to start the car?.

Yes, Once you use the Techstream scantool to program the key then you need to go into a different section to program the key less entry function. These are two separate actions but both require the scantool. 2007 is the first year Toyota started doing this. Before it was done with the ignition switch, door locks and door courtesy switch. I'm thinking that they didn't know that they had to use the scantool.

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is too bad because i had it done when I bought the car last year. The car only had 1 working key. I bought a new key and just took it for granted they were trying their best to do it. It has been a year since they tried. They will most likely want ot charge me again. What do you think a dealer would chatge to do it. I may have to go to another dealer?

At our Dealer we do it for free with our good/regular customers. If you have to be charged then I would say no more than $45 since it will take no more than 1/2 hour time total.

Genchi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank You Genchi, I guess there is not much more you can do. I will have to decide if I want to spend more money of just stay the way I is since the key starts the car and can open the doors. Do you think their could be a problem with the remote system?

Sal

Do you think their could be a problem with the remote system? No and I wouldn't give up till you ask them to program it for you as a courtesy or for no charge. The worst they can say is no.

Genchi

Experience: Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Again, XXXXX

My pleasure.

Genchi