KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY QUESTION CORECTLY.
5629372

Toyota Corolla S: How to remove and replace an ignition lock

How to remove and replace an ignition lock cylinder on a 2001 Toyota Corolla?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 5 years ago.

KALAMYKID :

Do you just need to replace the tumbler part of th switch or do you need to replace the whole housing?

KALAMYKID :

If all youneed to remove is the lock cylinder and not the housing, put your key in the ignition switch and turn it to the accessory position and there is a pin on the top of the housing youhave to push in but youhave to remove the plastic covers that covers the steering column to get to it. Then all you have to do is turn the switch to accessory, push the pin out, and pull the lock out of the housing.

KALAMYKID :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Ok, I hope that's all I need to do, but after I pull it out I need to Remove it completely and install a new one. I will go to Toyo tomorrow to buy the cylinder w/keys and replace it if that's all there is to it.

Customer:

Also how do I know if I need to replace housing or not? The problem is that it has become increasingly more difficult to turn the key from the locked position. It's to the point that it takes 10 mins of playing with it to get it out of the locked position, then it starts ok.

KALAMYKID :

99% of the time the lock cylinder is the only thing you need to replace. When you pull the old cylinder out soo if the bore of the housing has any gouges or burs in it. If it does, see if you can clean it up with some 900 grit paper.

Customer:

OK, Thanks

KALAMYKID :

You are very welcome.