Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Tacoma: I change the timing chain or belt..4 cylinder engine.

when should I change the timing chain or belt on my2008 Tacoma. It is a 4 cylinder engine. belt or chain
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

yours is a timing chain and has no mileage recommendation. It is designed to last the life of the engine. only time to replace it is the timing chain guides wear and you start to hear a timing chain rattle or slap behind the timing cover as the chain will stretch. Usually around 225-260,000 miles.

This is a big job. calls for 20.4 hours labor. so, at roughly $100 per hour, this will be around $2000 just in labor cost. total around $2500 including parts
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.