Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Toyota Camry: cyl..I crank the car in the morning ,engine revs..stall

Toyota Camry 1998, 162000 miles. 4-cyl. when I crank the car in the morning ,engine revs up to 2000, used to be 1200, then when revs start dropping real slowly and when it reach the 700-800 revs it comes to stall, after the engine stop, there is no way to start it back and the smell of gas is very strong. it takes a couple hours before you are able to start it again, and when I drive it, it feels like it is driven on cruise control, when I stop, it stall, sometimes CEL comes on, not all the time, took to a mechanic and they replaced the idle air sensor, didn't fix the problem.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello!

Do you happen to know the code number in the computer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, I do not know the code numbers

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
You might have an air or a vacuum leak. This is very common! Open the hood and listen for a hissing sound when the engine is running.
Unmetered air can enter the engine through a vacuum leak, a dirty airflow sensor that is not reading airflow accurately, an EGR valve is not closing and is leaking exhaust into the intake manifold, an EGR valve that is allowing too much flow.
If it is hard to pinpoint take some brake cleaner or starting fluid around the intake manifold and vacuum lines and see if the engine stumbles or if the idle is affected. Be extremely careful when doing this!

Also, your throttle body may be carboned up and need to be cleaned! This can cause all sorts of idle and hesitation problems. This is caused by the throttle plate not seating properly. The First thing i would do is clean out the throttle body with some throttle plate and intake cleaner and a small brush.

Possible Causes
Check for air leaks in the Air Induction system (e.g., in the intake manifold)
Check for air leaks in the PCV system and in its related hoses and/or valve
Idle air inlet passage or throttle bore is dirty or full of deposits
Throttle plate, throttle shaft or linkage is damaged or sticking
TP sensor is out-of-range or "skewed" high