Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine

How to fix P1354 Engine code on 01 Toyota Sienna 3.0

How to fix P1354 Engine code on '01 Toyota Sienna 3.0
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 2 years ago.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Hi

Genchi Genbutsu :

Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs.

Genchi Genbutsu :

What tests or repairs have you tried so far?

Customer:

A mechanic cleared original codes and ask us to drive it with no changes. It seemed OK at the shop.

Genchi Genbutsu :

And it will but the light will come back on. The code P1354 is for the VVT gears on bank 2. The gear is what allows the camshaft to rotate forward or back depending on the engines need. Bank 2 is the front bank--most toward the front bumper and easiest to get to.

Genchi Genbutsu :

What will be needed is to replace the VVT gear and also possibly the OCV valve that controls it.

Genchi Genbutsu :

OCV= Oil Control Valve

Genchi Genbutsu :

VVT= Variable Valve Timing

Customer:

Is is possible that just the ocv valve is bad? is the vvt gear accessible?

Genchi Genbutsu :

The OCV is usually replaced as a precaution and have never see it replaced alone and fixed this code. The VVT gear is accessible but you will have to remove the camshaft. That not something a non technician should do as it could lead to a much more expensive repair.

Customer:

Where is the OCV valve located?

Genchi Genbutsu :

It is located in the head towards the back but facing the valley.

Genchi Genbutsu :

It will look like this...

Genchi Genbutsu :

Full Size Image

Genchi Genbutsu :

It is just held in by one 10mm bolt.

Customer:

The first batch of codes were misfires: Random, 302,304,306. Do you still think the vvt and ocv solution is indicated?

Genchi Genbutsu :

Yes, these are related and quite common with the VVT codes. It is because the ECM can't control the Variable Valve Timing and thus the engine misfires.

Customer:

One more cross check. It runs good cold and then runs bad as soon as it warms up and then much worse at idle. Does this still sound likely?

Genchi Genbutsu :

Yes.

Customer:

Thanks!

Experience: Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine