Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

2000 Toyota Sienna: vents are blowing out warm air..has only happened

I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna and the ac light is blinking and the vents are blowing out warm air. This has only happened in the past when going through puddles and it stops after you shut ac off and turn it back on. What could be the problem. The light continues to blink.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Does the clutch on the AC compressor engage when the button is pushed? Watch and listen to the compressor when turning the ac switch on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know. I will check and reply back. As I previously stated, the light on the ac button flashed before but only when it was raining and going through a puddle. I just pushed the ac button off and back on and it took care of the problem.
The reason why the A/C light flashes is because the A/C controller or amplifier is sending the signal to the A/C compressor to engage. There is a speed sensor located in the compressor. This reports the RPM of the compressor shaft. If the AC amplifier does not see this signal and match it with the engine RPM then it shuts the system down then flashes the light in the A/C switch. This happens when the belt slips for example when you splash water up onto the undercarriage of the vehicle. If this is not the case now then there is a problem with the magnetic clutch assembly itself or the compressor itself is not coming on due to a malfunction in the compressor. You need to start by verifying whether or not the clutch is actually engaging on the end of the compressor first. Let me know later the results of this test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The clutch is engaging. The ac is working now but I still need to find out what was wrong.
The malfunction is not occurring at this time and air-conditioning is blowing cold air?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, it is working now and blowing cold air out. When my wife got in the car this morning, the ac light started blinking and for the 15 minute ride to school, it continued to blink. This afternoon when she came home, it started working. Could it be the clutch or ???
Typically what you find going on is usually related to corrosion in the wiring harness at the connector for the A/C compressor. If it is now blowing cold air it's unlikely anything malfunctioning in the compressor as far as the refrigerant or the mechanics of the A/C compressor itself. There is no relay involved. The AC amplifier sends a 12 V signal out to the magnetic clutch assembly. Ideally you need to see it occur and check to see if the clutch is engaging. If you getting 12 V to the wire that goes to the clutch mechanism on the front the compressor and it still not engaging then the most common denominator is the actual magnetic clutch itself or the connector going to it.
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic