Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

2000 Toyota Camry CE: 4 cyl 2.2L; 5SFE Engines

Customer Question

Suppose I am given pics of five 2000 Toyota Camry CE; 4 Cyl 2.2L; "5SFE" Engines. How do I know by looking at them if the engine is designed for "California Emission" vs "Federal Emission". Is there a "visual test" of 2000 Toyota Camry CE; 4 Cyl 2.2L; "5SFE" Engine to find if it is "California Emission" vs "Federal Emission". Please note, I am not asking to look for a tag on the door or hood because I don't have access to the used car from where the engine was taken out. I just have the used engine in front of me.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. Do these engines have the exhaust manifolds?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Look at the cylinder block
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
There are subtle differences in the exhaust manifolds and heat shields. Refer to this diagram.

Let me know if you need more info.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you explain subtle difference you are referring to via this diagram Pls. elaborate what is present (or absent) in "California Emission" vs "Federal Emission" of 2000 Toyota Camry CE; 4 Cyl 2.2L; "5SFE" Engines.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
If you look at the picture, the manifold piping is different and the heat shields have a different look.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is better to clarify if you send me two pictures. Name pic1 as California and pic2 as Federal. I can then follow what is the exact difference between the two. The reason I doubt this answer is because our mechanic is referring to an extra throttle (very small ejecting tube) at the engine block as a differentiator between California and Federal.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
The picture shows both. The one on left in box is labeled 'except California' meaning federal emissions. The one on right is California emissions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So essentially the difference lies only in the "look of exhaust manifolds and heat shields". The exhaust manifold and heat shields can actually be disconnected from the main engine. The exhaust manifold and heat shield are dismantled from the main engine and thus I can't see either the exhaust manifold or the heat shield. The engine comes from previouly used car and I don't have their exhaust manifold or heat shield. Are you suggesting that there is no difference in the "Engine of California Emission" vs. "Engine of Federal Emission" but the difference is in "Exhaust Manifold and Heat Shield of California Emission" vs. "Exhaust Manifold and Heat Shield of Federal Emission". So I should inspect the "Exhaust Manifold and Heat Shield" but not the "Engine" to find if this is "California Emission" or "Federal Emission"
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Now, you have wasted my time and yours. I specifically asked if the engines you were looking at had the exhaust manifolds. You responded simply 'yes.' Your question was for a way to differentiate via a picture only. Now you tell me the manifolds ( the easiest way to tell the difference) aren't there after all. So, once again, what is present in the pictures you are looking at? Are you looking at a complete engine? Head? Bare block?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am looking at the cylinder head ( and the cylinder block ( I have enclosed the pics also of the cylinder head and the cylinder block.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
These pictures are generic parts catalog diagrams. There is no way to differentiate anything from these pictures.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The seller of the "Engine World (" states that there is a difference in the look of the cylinder block of "California Emission" vs "Federal Emission". There exists some kind of small protruding metallic tube (i.e kind of thin metallic connector) in the middle of cylinder block that connects to the exhaust. Does this give you any clue ? Should I believe him or take your word as stated above.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Yes, there is a distinct difference in the block hand the head. What, exactly do you need to know. Do you not know what you currently have for replacement purposes? I'm sorry, but the direction of this really doesn't make any sense. I'd like to help you, but I'm not sure what you need.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me the distinct difference in the block head of "California Emission" vs "Federal Emission" ? I need replacement for 2000 Toyota Camry CE; 4 Cyl 2.2L; "5SFE" "California Emission" engine. How do I know that I am being sold a "California Emission" or "Federal Emission" just by looking at the cylinder block or the cylinder head of the engine ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Pls. note that our understanding is that Engine World is only interested in selling me a 2000 Toyota Camry CE; 4 Cyl 2.2L; "5SFE" engine and make its money, wash its hand and be happy forever. I am the customer who may have to suffer by having the wrong engine. They are probably trying to fool us in believing that their engine is "California Emission" Engine. I don't have any way to verify whether they are telling the truth or fooling us.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Look at this picture

Look between the injector ports for cylinders 2 and 3. There is no tube coming out meaning this is federal emissions.

Compare that to this picture

Note the tube. This is California emissions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. So in summary there is no tube between cylinders 2 and 3 for "Federal Emissions". And there exists a tube between cylinders 2 and 3 for "California Emissions". Can you help me with clarifying where does this tube connect with ? Is it the exhaust ?

Lastly, is it ever possible for a new car Toyota Camry sold in San Jose, California stated as "California Emission" (as per its VIN number and verification done by the dealer) to actually have a "Federal Emission" engine ? How can Toyota company ever make this mistake ? Have you ever seen such cases before.

I will accept your answer once I hear from you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can a "Federal Emission Engine" exist in dealer verified "2000 Toyota Camry 2.2 Litre 4 cylinder 5SFE engine" stating that it must have "California Emission" engine ? The verification has been done by the dealer using the VIN number of car.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
If you have a federal emissions engine in a California emissions car, it has been changed at some point in the vehicles life. Anything is remotely possible I suppose, but I have never heard of the wrong engine going into a car and that vehicle making it all the way through production and into the market. It's highly unlikely.