Dr.Automotive
Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Automotive Degree Shop Experience

Toyota: How to change toyota tundra front wheel bearings

Customer Question

How to change toyota tundra front wheel bearings
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dr.Automotive replied 2 years ago.

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My name isXXXXX's good to meet you, Danny. And, I have to say you are extremely quick, I don't know how you even had time to look this information up much less get it posted.

However, I need a little more information than this. It would be nice if it all just fell about as the pictures show, but it does not. I need to know what type of press, tools and the procedure to change the bearing out

You only need a tool for the ball joints and the hub comes with the bearing so no pressing is needed. Tool part # XXXXX XXXXX in the steps let me know if this is all you needed. Thanks

Danny
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
There is a special socket required to properly remove the nut behind the bearing. The bearing has to be pressed in and out using a large press. When you install the bearing, the nut needs to be tightened to a high torque specification. I can get that information for you. Do you have access to any of these type tools?
Yes BOXER I received your assist before I was able to reply you jumped on it here

CLICK HERE FOR MISSING INFO FROM FIRST STEPS

CLICK HERE FOR INSTALL

CLICK HERE FOR ASSEMBLY
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I seem to be getting a response from two techs, and I question whether either know this vehicle.

I have a 30 ton press, although, I did not see the nut you are talking about and the other tech said all I need is a tool for the ball joint, nada. Are you sure we're talking about the same vehicle?

I just loaded a post you didnt see it has the info from toyota itself
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
The nut is step 3b of snapon techs updated information. It is accurate. We often work together in this site to ensure our customers get the most accurate information as quickly as possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have you ever done one of these?-How hard is it?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
I have done many. It is actually quite a difficult task. The most important part is proper torque of the lock nut. If not torqued properly, the bearing will fail. You MUST have the correct nut to remove and reinstall this nut. Also, the bearing race will probably separate and stay with the hub. You will need to cut it with a cutoff wheel and split it with a chisel to remove it from the hub. For pressing it together, use lots of anti seize lubricant to help get it together.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, the correct SOCKET to remove and reinstall the lock nut.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The diagrams for installation have dissappeared. Why? Could you repost them? Thanks.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 2 years ago.
Is this truck a 2wd or 4wd?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's 4wd.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why are you not answering?
I can help you if you still need help. Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need the pictures replaced that were once posted above so I can refer to them while replacing the bearing in the Toyota.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why did they AND you disappear until now.....Strange!
I opted out of the question allowing the other expert to take care of the question.

The PDF files only stay on here for a short period.

Let me know if you need anything else save them or print for your record.

Please take a moment to kindly press ACCEPT if this was helpful for my time and effort. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Danny
Dr.Automotive, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Automotive Degree Shop Experience