Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

2001 Toyota Tacoma: front rotors..calipers..the rotor bolts..loose

How do I remove the front rotors off a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. I have the calipers off and the rotor bolts removed and the rotor is loose, but I can't figure out how to actually remove the rotor.

ted ritter :

Hello, the rotors should just slide off the hub after removing the calipers, there are no bolts to remove other than the caliper bolts, try tapping the rotor center hub with a hammer to break it loose.

Customer:

Ok, so if there are no bolts to remove, then what bolts did I remove?

Customer:

(I'm at work right now, so I'm going to be bouncing back and forth here.)

ted ritter :

Let me see if I can upload a removal diagram. Ok, if I switch out of chat and reply later? You will get a message after I reply again.

Customer:

Sure.

ted ritter :

Ok, do not click on the ACCEPT button until I reply back with the information you need.

graphic
Your rotor should look like this, tap around the center hub with a hammer where the arrows indicate, the rotor will break loose from the hub.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Actually, that's not exactly what mine looks like. I have an additional hub, which apparently requires a torque wrench. Like I said, my rotor is loose from the hub. I can spin it independantly from the rest of the wheel mount. I believe this is not feasible for me to do on my own, and will require an actual mechanic's garage. Thank you for your time.
Ok, maybe it's not a 2001, the rotors are the same for both 4x4 and 2wd, earlier models had hubs to which ht rotors bolted to from the back so the entire assembly had to come off.
Thank you for accepting, if you want to you can upload a picture of what the rotors look like if you still need help with this.