Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1994 Camry: the car has quit running while I was driving..gets warmed

Customer Question

1994 Camry 2.2 the car has quit running while I was driving and now after driving about three miles and it gets warmed up it will not start.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Does the engine crank over and not start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Does the check engine light come on with the key on?

Do you know if it has spark when cranking it over?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1) The check engine light does come on when you turn the key, but it doesn't stay on when it is running.

2) Not sure, doesn't feel like it though.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. we will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are getting fuel in the cylinders
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. excellent!

Lets check for spark and even injector pulse. If you are missing spark, this could flood the engine out when cranking the engine over.

In addition, if the valve timing is off for some reason, this will flood out the cylinders as well.