Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

2007 corolla: that wont start..blown fuses..wont crank

Customer Question

I have a 2007 corolla that wont start. I replaced the battery and then found that I has blown fuses. Had to replace the 100amp fuse and now I get power but it still wont crank. Please help!!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

You are saying it cranks over but will not fire up? Is the check engine light on with the key in the on position?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it wont crank at all. I turn the key on and nothing happens. No check engine light either.
Normally when these get jumped backwards and blows the 100 amp fuse it pops other fuses like the gauge fuse and efi and iGN fuses recheck all the fuses inside the car and under the hood. Check the fusible link wire at the positive battery cable make sure it did not melt inside the insulation. It has to have power the full length of the wire.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could it be a relay that is blown?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I check the cable? Why would the lights work if it is the cable? Thank you so much for the help...just wish I could fix it!!!
This is the small wire at the positive cable not the main starter cable. You check it for breaks or with a volt meter. It is not going to be a relay. If you have a voltmeter I can go through other tests once you confirm the fuses are all good and the fusible link wire has 12 all the way through it about 3 inches before it attaches to the main harness.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe the cable isn't good. Could it be caused by jumping it incorrectly? And how do I fix this problem?
You can purchase fusible link wire at any parts store it needs to be the same diameter. Soldier it in place of the piece burned. For now use a jumper wire to see if there are any other problems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jumper wire?
Yes use a jumper wire with clips on either end or just a plain piece of wire and twist the ends to take the place of the fusible link wire that is blown to get things up and running to see if there is any other damage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I checked the fusible link and its fine...any new ideas?
Do you have a volt meter and know how to use ot? What fuses have 12 v?