mastertech29
mastertech29, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  If you have any questions about Toyota's I'm your man.
61213286

Toyota Corolla LE: Can I connect a Sirius Satellite radio to

Customer Question

Can I connect a Sirius Satellite radio to the antenna on a 2009 Corolla.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Are you talking about adding a satellite Sirius system to your vehicle or simply tapping into the antenna input?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am trying to install a Sirius system and would like to connect to the antenna on the roof that is there instead of running another antenna.
You can get to the antenna connector at the back of the radio. Do you have information on how to remove the radio, it's not that difficult?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I have instructions from Crutchfield but they sent an antenna with the radio . So I would like to connect to the antenna on the roof if that is possible. Someone said the antenna was not for Sirus and I did not know where the wire was located.
The antenna on the roof is a plug-in style antenna it will only work for a.m. and FM. In order to make any satellite radio work you need an FM modulator and plug into the antenna adapter at the radio. If you bought a satellite radio kit you have to use the magnetic sticky antenna with the very small wire going to it. Is this the antenna piece that you're referring to?
I just need to clarify also you are just adding a satellite kit and didn't purchase an entire radio that includes AM/FM and a satellite system built-in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think you are wrong. The am fm antenna is in the glass rear window not the sat antenna on the roof. this is a 2009 Corolla.
Do you have a vehicle identification number available? On the radio that is factory installed is there a button that says SAT? Also what kind of satellite kit are you trying to install?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The vin # 1NXBU40E49Z156429. on the factory installed radio there is a button AM/SAT.
According to your Vin number and the information you listed about the radio AM/SAT button this vehicle was prewired with satellite capability. The flat device on the roof is the satellite antenna it has a wire that runs over and connects to an amplifier which then joins up with the AM/FM antenna which is integrated into the top portion of the rear window glass. This amplifier is located on the right rear quarter panel pillar just down from the roof line. Depending on your system that you're trying to add it may or may not connect in there. Toyota makes a very nice satellite radio system that you can add on and is plug-and-play. Unfortunately I have no idea what type of add-on satellite system you're using. They may not have the correct adapters or proper connections for tapping into the factory satellite system. I would be careful with any modifications that you do in the event that you want to use the Toyota satellite add-on system. Have you priced these from an online Toyota wholesale parts store? If you'd like more information on the satellite system that Toyota offers let me know and I can get you that information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have talked with the service department at Toyota and they are clue less.Some people on line say that the antenna is XM satlilite and not compatable with Sirus. Thanks for your help but I think you are beyond you expertise.
Expert:  mastertech29 replied 5 years ago.
You will need TOY-SC1 and SFA12M. I assume you purchased kit SC-C1. To install you need to access the radio harness located in the trunk on the passenger side. Remove the 5 trim pins and remove the interior wall, as well as the floor for easy access. There are three plugs, the gray is your antenna, the smaller white and blue aren't needed. Use the wire support to hold up the SFA12M, plug it into the gray connector, then run it through the pillar then under the rear sill . Same with the data harness. Mount the receiver and tuner on the underside of the sill for easy access to change the parameters and if you need to change the 2 amp fuse. All wires are neatly tucked away. I hope this helps.Thank you for choosing Just Answer. Rick