Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

Toyota Tacoma: I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma that wont idle.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma that won't idle. I think the timing is off, how can I confirm that this is the problem and not something else?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 2 years ago.

Rmldaytona :

Hello. Thank you for using Just Answer. I will give my best efforts in answering your question to achieve your full satisfaction. The easiest way to check ignition timing on this vehicle is by using a scantool since the timing os completely computer controlled. The most common reason for idle problems on this vehicle is a dirty throttle plate or a faulty MAF sensor.

Rmldaytona :

But, checking the timing without a scan tool is as follows...

Rmldaytona :

Connect the timing light lead as shown in the picture.

Full Size Image

Rmldaytona :

The using a jumper wire connect the terminals in the diagnostic connector as shown.

Full Size Image

Rmldaytona :

The ignition timing should be 3 to 7° BTDC during idling, operating temperature and all electrical components off.

Customer:

I will try that, however, let me give you some more detail. I blew a head gasket, warped the head, sent the head out to have it straightened (professionally). The company that did the work lost the oil control valve for the intake timing. I replaced it with a new one (purchased it online). I put the motor back together and started the truck. It started fine. Once it warms up it won't idle. Does this extra information change your response or should I still try your suggestion?

Customer:

I would like to point out that all of the timing marks only line up approximately every 68 revolutions. I don't know if that's normal.

Customer:

12:37 PM

Rmldaytona :

The marks on the chain will lign up only every so many revolutions. You might need to check for vacuum leaks.

Customer:

I have checked for vacuum leaks and found none. Does the alignment of the timing marks every 68 or so revolutions sound normal to you?

Customer:

I have rechecked for vacuum leaks and still do not find any problems with the vacuum lines. I don't understand what I'm missing.

Rmldaytona :

The timing marks on the chain... Yes. They will lign up after so may engine revolutions. The timing marks on the crank and the cams should lign up every 2 engine revolutions. As shown in the following picture.

Full Size Image

Rmldaytona :

Since the battery was disconnected, did you clean the throttle body?

Customer:

No, but I will do that now. The question of the day is why does the engine run but not idle? A dirty throttle body can cause that?

Customer:

The timing marks on the crank and the cams are not ligning up every two engine revolutions, how do I correct that?

Rmldaytona :

The computer has COMPLETE control of the idle. As the throttle plate accumulates carbon, the computer learns the carbon and compensates for it as needed. When you disconnect the battery, the computer just went back to step one. It can't learn the throttle carbon and will not idle correctly.

Rmldaytona :

Clean the throttle and perform a idle relearn procedure as follows...

Rmldaytona :

Remove the EFI fuse and the 10 amp ETCS fuse from the under hood fuse box. Remove the boot from the throttle body and clean the throttle plates very good. Push the throttle plate closed completely and then reinstall the fuses. Be sure the throttle plates are closed completely. Turn the ignition switch to the on position. Reinstall the intake air boot and then start the vehicle allowing it to idle until warm.

Rmldaytona :

As for the timing chain marks... Are we talking about the marks on the CHAIN or the marks on the cam sprockets?

Customer:

Let me give that a try and I will be back to you with the result as soon as possible. Thanks!

Rmldaytona :

No problem. I will be looking forward to hearing from you

Customer:

Ok, I cleaned the throttle and performed the idle relearn procedure and the truck still will not idle.

Customer:

It's coming up with the following codes: 300 (random cylinder misfire); 301 (cylinder 1);

Customer:

302 (cylinder 2); 303 (cylinder 3) ... also P101 (system too lean), Bank 101

Customer:

I mean bank 1

Customer:

I'm at a loss ...

Rmldaytona :

This would indicate a vacuum leak at the intake manifold gasket. Spray throttle cleaner around the intake gasket top and bottom to see if the engine reacts to the cleaner. If it does, then the gasket has a leak. Next, recheck that the intake boot and all vacuum lines are not torn and properly secured. Disconnect the MAF sensor and see if the trucks idles better.

Rmldaytona :

If the MAF sensor is unplugged and the truck idles better, you aither have a vacuum leak or a bad MAF sensor.

Customer:

I'll give that a try and keep my fingers crossed!

Rmldaytona :

If none of the following items help, test the cylinder compression. These 4 cylinder engines are horrible for head gasket problems. They are delicate and I have found that many experienced technicians repeated the process 2 times before finally intalling a new engine. For some reason, these engines are very sensitive to the torque specs on the head bolts. You DID use new head bolts right? I have seen many failed attempts to replace the head gasket on these engines.

Rmldaytona :

New bolts, a thread chaser to clean the bolt holes in the block is a must. Did you perform these steps? Did you torque EXACTLY to specifications?

Customer:

Okay I removed the MAF sensor and the truck idles (about 500 rpms) ... though barely idling if I put the sensor back in the truck quits. And, yes, I did replace the new head bolts

Rmldaytona :

Great!!! So you either have a vacuum leak or a bad MAF sensor.

Customer:

Yes I did all of the things you asked..

Rmldaytona :

These MAF sensors are quite expensive as you will use only a toyota part. So please save yourself the money and recheck again for vacuum leaks using throttle cleaner.

Rmldaytona :

Another note... The sensor is installed in the correct direction?

Customer:

There is a vacuum leak right under the throttle body!! I never removed the MAF sensor so I would have to say yes.

Rmldaytona :

And closer to a fix we are getting...

Rmldaytona :

Repair the vacuum leak, retest.

Rmldaytona :

After it idles well, you will again perform an idle relearn procedure.

Customer:

Well I sure hope this solves the problem!

Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it!

Rmldaytona :

You are quite welcome.

Rmldaytona :

If it does not, even after you choose to accept... you can always return to this post within 30 days and reopen it to ask further questions regarding this problem. :-)

Rmldaytona :

I will be anxiously awaiting your results.

Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm back, and I'm still having the same problem with my truck. I fixed the vacuum leak under the throttle body, but the truck will not idle unless I unhook the MAF sensor and even then it idles rough. What am I doing wrong and/or what can I try next?

The truck is likely loading up with fuel due to the MAF sensor malfunction. The next step if you are SURE there are no other vacuum leaks, replace the MAF sensor. Then once again perform an idle relearn procedure after driving the truck for a few miles to clear out the fuel out of the engine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, I'll order a new sensor and try that. I will let you know how I make out!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you.