Randy, Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 years expierence.

I should ask......what all does the ecu-ig fuse protect?

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
I finally got back to my 4Runner. I popped the panel off the rear door, disconnected the 2 connectors that are just off the rear ecu, replaced the ecu-ig fuse, cleared the P0500 and everything else (besides the rear wipers, window, washer, etc) works with no lights on. So, you were right, it is in the rear door. I looked as carefully as I could (without removing the window mechanism bracket) at the wiring and connectors; I didn't see any obvious broken wires. What is next? We would assume we are getting power to the rear ecu but that one of the loads (wiper, washer, latch switch, window full-up switc, defogger?) has an problem. I thought if I could isolate the wiper motor, at least I could tell if that was the problem. However, I believe the fuse blows even when all those items are off. Could that be? Anyway, what procedure should I follow? Michael
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.

Attachment: 2011-11-15_004647_2001_toyota_4runner4.pdf

Tailgate wiring
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I spoke too soon. The lights came back on, fuse blew, just took longer. The other day when I replaced the fuse it immediately blew but with the rear ecu unplugged.... it seems to take longer before it blows, maybe. So, I will take a look at your response--the pdf and look forward to your next comments. Michael
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like a broken wire or short to ground, if you can just track it down.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just to get back with you, regarding the 2001 4Runner with the electrical gremlin...... I had disconnected the back ecu but the issue came back so I reconnected it and started looking elsewhere. I opened the panel under the steering wheel, removed the glovebox and the center dash console but couldn't find any cut, scraped or burned wires. Next I took the center console out--and I found a buch of junk caught in and around the emergency brake/switch. I cleaned it out, reset it and everything seemed fine but the fuse blew again. I cleaned it out some more, reset it again and it has stayed working since yesterday? Crazy. Also, I only had a 5amp fuse left so the circuit has been working with a 5 amp fuse. So I am wondering if something was caught under the brake mechanism, that this was keeping the brake engaged a bit and giving the computer some strange values? Still, this wouldn't cause a fuse to blow. Maybe some pressure on a wire was causing something to touch. There was a little broken glass mixed in with the junk so I need to get a mag glass out to see if there is a tiny break in one of those wires? I don't know...... Anyway, thought you might be interested. Maybe saved myself $ far. It would be interesting to know if there is a way to track things other than inspecting the wires? MIchael
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
You can use ohm meter set to continuity. It will beep when continuity is present. I always add 6 feet to my leads using alligator clips so to reach from connector to connector.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just wanted to let you know that you were right--it was the harness between the body and the rear door. I just had to examine it more closely. I taped the broken wires and everything works except the wipers and rear window. I am ordering a new harness. Thank you again for all your help and patience. Next time I will be more diligent in examining the relevant area. Regards, Michael
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for letting me know! This is great news, I love my 4runner and I would not be able to rest if it had problems. Not to mention my wife...Your complete 100% satisfaction is main goal!