Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

2000 toyota sienna power steering

2000 toyota sienna power steering
What is your question about the power steering, what is the problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My 2000 Sienna has been making a loud whining/screechy noise while I turn the wheel when the vehicle is cold. A couple of things to know:
The vehicle has 102k miles
I have recently replaced the timing belt, the water pump, and both serpentine belts
The belts look snug but not overly tight, I have checked the power steering fluid and it is full.
The steering wheel is actually somewhat difficult to turn (with the loud noise) during the first minute or two before it warms up.
After the vehicle is warm we are having no problems.
The noise seemed to (I think???) get worse after the installation of a new Non OEM belt.
Just wondering what is causing this problem.
B.J. Berglund
Thanks for the info, the power steering belt will most likely need to be adjusted tighter, it sounds like the belt is slipping, try using a prybar between the pump body and the engine block and pull the belt tighter then lock it, recheck for noise, the alternator belt also needs to be tight with almost no deflection of the belt.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Ted,
Thanks for the info; I am sorry that I haven't had a chance to reply. I believe your answer is indeed correct. However, could you be a bit more detailed with the process of tightening the belt. I can see the belt way down on the bottom and it is indeed very loose when the engine is cold. Is there a bolt to loosen or is there an auto tensioner to adjust?

B.J. Berglund
There is no tensioner to adjust, the power steering pump itself is moved to tighten the belt. Remove the plastic cover in front of the engine this gives more room to work, to the right of the pump you will see a brass looking bracket with a 14mm bolt, loosen this bolt then use a large screwdriver or bar to move the power steering pump away from the engine, the belt has to to be very tight with almost no deflection, when the belt is tight keep applying pressure while tightening the bracket bolt.
By the way that special service tool is not really required you can use a socket and an extension.