Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with over 30 years of experience, including Toyota and Toyota Hybrid.
24034660

2000 toyota celica: cylinder head..back together..timing..crankshaft

Im working on a 2000 toyota celica with the 1.8 liter engine in it and I replaced the cylinder head and just want to make sure before I put it back together I have the timing right I have the crankshaft at zero and just want to make sure i have the overhead cams timed right there is a dot on each of the overhead cams and my question is do I just line these dots up at top dead center
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mastertech 1 replied 3 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.Are you refering to the dots on the cam gears (one of the gears is a spit gear the other is a solid gear,1 has 2 dots the other has 1 dot on it)If this is what you are refering to then yes, line-up the dots on the cam gears and then line -up the mark on the timing gear for the timing belt (with the dot behind the belt gear through the hole in the timing belt gear with the crank lined-up on tdc, there is a mark on the lower cover that will line-up with the lower crank pulley gear mark. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know if I can be of any other assistance with this issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what does the x mean on the back overhead cam gear if you are looking forward at the car that is the gear that has two dots the other gear only has one dot
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I understand the crankshaft has to be at zero and i have that done just want to make sure the overhead cams are timed right
The x means exhaust cam (this is so you dont mix it with the intake cam)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh ok so i don't need to worry about the x then just get the crankshaft at zero and then line the dot of the back overhead cam up with the forward overhead cam dot and i should be good for timing then
The x tells you that is the exhaust cam, yes line-up the dots, with the timing gear lined-up on its mark and then as long as the crank is on its mark it is in time, (make sure that the split, spring loaded gear is centered,this gear was designed to keep you from getting valve train noise,) Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what do you mean by centered that is the forward cam with the magnets in it centered as far as the line between the two split rings is at the top
What I am saying is,There are some that have a split designed cam gear that is spring loaded and some have tried to assemble these without using a service bolt to hold the spring loaded split gear in line and have damaged the cam to cam gears,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh ok i understand what you are saying yeah i did use that special bolt to hold it in place and they are lined up thanks for the help
Sounds good! Not many techs, know about this gear issue! Sounds like you are good to go, and on the right track. Thanks
Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician with over 30 years of experience, including Toyota and Toyota Hybrid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im still working on this celica got it back together and have all the timing marks lined up but it seems that it drags when trying to start it and it puckes gas out of the cylinders and will not start
Did you line the 2 dots together on the cam gears, with the crankshaft at tdc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i replaced all four fuel injectors and a coil and still no luck
Ok, Just to make sure we are on the same page here, are refering to the 2 gears on the cams correct, Not the timing belt? (to make sure we are working with the correct engine/year)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it has a chain and the gears on the cams should be correct not unless someone else got them wrong because I transfered them over from the existing cylinder head and they were the same on that head
Ok, I was just making sure that you were talking about the timing change (crank to cams) AS long as the crank is in the tdc posistion, and the cam gears should have the dot to dot (dots face to face on the gears) then it should be in timing,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
they are when the crankshaft is at top dead center what would cause it to not start and make a grinding noise when starting it

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
What is the history on this engine? What was the reason for removing the head? How was it running? Any engine noises, or coolant in the oil, before work was performed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i was going of the cover as being the top dead center as far as o i turned the crank to 0 and lined it up on the o mark on the cover and then lined the two dots up on the cams on the top
Are they set the way the pics. are that I sent you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im not sure I have the white mark on the crankshaft pulley lined up with the o mark on the cover I will have to take the cover of again and see what it is lined up as there so you go of that dot then
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
still having problems with car
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
number one mark dot has to be facing forward
Yes,you to Have to make sure that this mark is 100% lined-up! Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it has to be a timing problem because there really is nothing else that would cause this
Yes, But if the timing chain is 100% correct, Then the cams under the valve covers are not in time!!, You need to set the engine on tdc (timing marks will be in time, cams and crank) then remove valve covers and check to see if cams are in proper time!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do you know if the cams are in time
There are marks on each cam gear that must be set with the engine at TDC