Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

1998 Toyota Corolla: Odometer and the speedometer stop..speed sensor

Customer Question

Car: 1998 Toyota Corolla 1.8
Issue: Odometer and the speedometer stop working intermittently
MIL Code: P0500
What I have done? I have replaced the speed sensor and checked the connections on the instrument panel.

Please advise what I can do to get this fixed.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 years ago.
Hello, it actually has two speed sensors, one on the transmission and the other one is located and is part of the speedometer. The transmission sensor sends a signal to the speedometer which in turn sends this information to the car's computer, a malfunction of the speedometer speed sensor will trigger a check engine light and the code P0500 so my recommendation would be to replace the speedometer, it is available seperately and can be installed in the instrument cluster.
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience: Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ted,

Where can I purchase the speedometer and do you have instructions on installing it?

The speedometer can be purchased at the toyota dealer, there may be aftermarket units available from other sources so check around on the internet, most states in the US require that the replacement speedo be set to the original odometer reading, some states require a label to be attached to the door stating that the speedo was replaced and stating the original mileage, if you buy it from the dealer they will include setting the odometer in the price, if you buy it used or aftermarket then you will have to take it to a certified speedo repair place to have the correct odometer reading put in. In most states it is against the law to alter the odometer reading.

I don't have step by step instructions for installing it but if you are handy with this sort of thing it's not that hard, just remove the instrument cluster and the disassemble the back of the cluster to put the new speedo in, if you don't feel comfortable tackling this then a speedo shop or the dealer will do it for around $90.