Randy
Randy, Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 years expierence.
62741268

Toyota Prius: my 2008 prius needs front brake pads replacement

Customer Question

my 2008 prius needs front brake pads replacement every 15,000 miles. what is wrong?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

Jason :

Thats not possible, unless its from rust. The pads will last forever

Jason :

the site is lagging bad

JACUSTOMER-y22fu6t7- :

my car is very clean. i live far away ocean

Jason :

Thats not what I mean.. A Prius has a very large electric motor, It uses that motor to slow the car down, There is very little work done by the actual brakes. It called regenerative braking. (which also helps charge the battery) ... Since the brakes dont do a whole lot, they have a tendency to rust.

Jason :

Did the shop specify why you needed brakes?

JACUSTOMER-y22fu6t7- :

they said i drive with 2 feet but i do not. my corolla need brake pad around 60000 miles.

Jason :

was it a dealer?

JACUSTOMER-y22fu6t7- :

yes

Jason :

did you do rotors also?

JACUSTOMER-y22fu6t7- :

replaced rotors.

Jason :

The service writer possibly sold the job as needing brakes, not actually being told by the tech, it was a rust issue. You dont replace rotors unless they cant be machined...The technicain doesnt get paid on parts, so he has no reason to sell rotors unless they are necessary. Its fairly common for the prius to need brake replacement (due to rust) every 2 years

JACUSTOMER-y22fu6t7- :

rotors damaged due to metal grinding to metal. so i need new rotors.

JACUSTOMER-y22fu6t7- :

i saw my damaged rotors

Jason :

Did you feel it grinding?

JACUSTOMER-y22fu6t7- :

yes , load grinding. i saw the damage

Jason :

Then the brakes are getting stuck in the calipers pad holders and not releasing. When the brakes are done, they should be cleaned and greased. This will still happen because of rust and lack of use..

Jason :

Its not something you are doing as you drive.

Jason :

Its mostly unavoidable on that car.

JACUSTOMER-y22fu6t7- :

brake pads moving free in and out, no stuck.

Jason :

then your car is an enigma

JACUSTOMER-y22fu6t7- :

i got third set of brake and rotors during this year.

Jason :

sry, im going to bed

JACUSTOMER-y22fu6t7- :

i dont accept

JACUSTOMER-y22fu6t7- :

I dont accept the answers.

Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello

I'd strip the calipers down again and check that the pads are in square and true with no debris in the mounting slots, also inspect the caliper mounting faces for any dents, burrs, or debris which would cause them to be bolted up out of true, also remove the disc and do the same for its mounting face on the upright and inside the disc.

If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line has partially collapsed and is producing a one way valve, this can't always be seen from the outside but you can test to see if there's any residual pressure in that caliper by cracking off the bleed nipple after stamping on the brake a few times

another possibility is that one caliper is sticking slightly so the piston isn't retracting on its seals

in which case that caliper will need rebuilding with new seals or replacing
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the dealer already replace calipers then flush the system when my car got second set of rotors.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Randy replied 5 years ago.