I. Silva
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto mechanic

Toyota Camry LE I have 2000 Camry. Replaced rear struts recently

Customer Question

I have 2000 Camry. Replaced rear struts recently but they seem to bang or thump on rough roads. Rear end does not bounce as if the struts have lost their charge. (Monroe gas filled shocks)

Is this normal? ...I've heard other Camry owners make similar comments
Category: Toyota
Expert:  I. Silva replied 4 years ago.

Hello...did you replace the strut mounts also ?

Also very common problem on this models ,the sway bar rubber bushings ,they go bad a lot , this are the two bushings from sway bar to the chassi , usually only noticible with car on the ground.You can also check the links at the ends of the sway bar.( not very common but they do go bad sometimes)

Good luck, let me know if any questions.

Accept my answer if i have helped.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not sure what you mean by the strut mounts. I just had to take the springs, damper cushion and cap (excuse my non technical descriptions) off the old units and put them on the new strut and reinstall the unit.

Are the sway bar bushings difficult to replace or do you need special tools to press them in and out?

Expert:  I. Silva replied 4 years ago.

The mounts are the top part of the strut that have the screws to hold the strut to the frame.

the sway bar bushings are easy to replace,need to remove the two 12mm head bolts to remove the round bracket. the rubber bushing are cut for easy installation on the bar.

Good luck.

Thank you.