I. Silva
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto mechanic
46707633

Toyota Corolla: Heater will not put out heat in cold weather. Has

Heater will not put out heat in cold weather.
Has been flushed 2 times-taken back to shop 4 times.
Told first time that radiator had been filled too much (toyota repair was last place taken).
Next time told radiator cap leaking--replaced.
Next time hoses replaced,told needs to let it clear itself to give it 3 days.
$700 + later, 3 Weekends blown, still freezing and colder weather coming quick.
When the weather is warm, it works like a furnace.
Last time gave up and took it outside of toyota--still not working.
Help--don't know whether to stay with toyota (after 3 + times) or go to another place to start fresh.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  john replied 3 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. wasa thermostat done?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. Thermostat was replaced. Pressure tested.

Bottom hose 60 degrees. Nothing leaking.

Expert:  john replied 3 years ago.

does it run hot?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thought it was fixed again today--went to Toyota--another flush- 3rd time-said hoses were reversed-worked when took car from shop--on drive home--cold air again from 3 car vents--next to driver door is actually blowing heat--all others are cold, to include defrost.

Temp gauge stays between C & H--is not running hot.

Told heater is fine. No leaks.

Someone told me to have them check a door flap--possibly sticking--toyota was told--does not appear to be the problem.

Expert:  I. Silva replied 3 years ago.

Hello....this is a new tech trying to help.

i don;t know if you can answer this questions but this needs to be checked.

When you say system was flushed several times ,does that includes the heater core itself ?

Did they disconnect the two heater hoses at the firewall and flush the heater core with pressure water ?

Did they check for good coolant flow going from engine side into the heater core ?

Did they check the heater core temperature inside the car to see if is a bend door problem or a clogged heater core ?

Did they check the coolant temp. coming out of heater core to see if is 40 degree or less colder then the coolant going in ?

I am sure if they have answers for this questions ,they know what is wrong with your car and then fix it.

Good luck, let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you--took car back to the shop for the 6th time and gave them your questions.

It appears there is a small leak in the radiator core, no-one could see because it was leaking on the firewall, no signs of leaking anywhere else.

First visit started with--had been filled to high last check (which they did)

Then came all the flushes, hose replacements, hose change arounds (they said hoses had been backwards) , pressure tests, core checks, thermostat replacement and all the while being told there was nothing wrong with the core, there are no leaks.

They refilled everything and was told will get a little heat until it gets to the point back where it was--still only warm in one vent. An added $1500 repair has to be thought out after all that's already been done--is this really what's wrong, or another step to find what's wrong?

Other than freezing, is it a health issue driving the car with a leak?

Thank you for your time and information, the car is not fixed, but you did provide me with data giving me more power to push a little harder to get someone to check deeper. Would be nice if someone with your knowledge was working in the shop here.

Expert:  I. Silva replied 3 years ago.

1500 dollars to replace the heater core ???

The dealer charges less than that.....

It is about 7 hours labor and 350.00 for the heater core.(dealer)

If you go an independent shop and they charge more than 850.00 they are over charging you.

Talking about your car problem ,my guess ,for what they did and what you told me is a clogged heater core.

I do not believe the leak is the problem because if was that ,you should get heat as son as they fill the system.

If you decide to fix the heater core(not for 1500 dollars) tell the mechanic to take a good look at the blend door .( door for heat/cold).

Good luck.

Accept my answer if i have helped.

Thank you.

Expert:  I. Silva replied 3 years ago.

Sorry ,i forgot to tell you that the fumes from the coolant are not the best thing to breed ,but also i don't know if is leaking because you should get foggy windshield ( inside the car) if it is leaking.

Good luck.

Thank you.

I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Auto mechanic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is the dealer we're working with now--called around too, pretty much same price $1427 parts and labor.

Both dealer and other shop say not clogged.

Did get some heat when system was filled--warm, but in only driver side door vent and was told that would not last.

Dealer shop said they checked everything and small leak in the core going on firewall was the answer. I will accept your answer, thank you. You have the knowledge and expertise, but unfortunately the ones checking the car will not go any farther until we agree to the needed repair they say they found.