Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

My air conditioning system in my 2007 Toyota Tacoma works intermittently.

Customer Question

My air conditioning system in my 2007 Toyota Tacoma works intermittently. When it shuts off, the fan/vent also shuts down. This happened a few days after the Toyota service center changed the filter for the AC during a 6 month oil change visit. I took it back and they could not find anything wrong (it was working that day i took it in. They say they checked the connections and cleaned it up a little so it should work fine. The very next day, it did the same thing so I drove directly over to the Toyota service center. The mechanic took a 10 second look and said it might be the blower fan so they would like to replace it. I paid $80 for a 15 minute cleaning of the AC connections that failed to fix the problem. I do not want to pay for more repairs and end up with the same problem. Help!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs. I just want to make sure that what you are saying is that the air conditioning blower (the fan itself) quites blowing air. Is that correct?

Genchi

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes that is correct....it works in the morning and when i go to school and start the truck again, it doesn't work. This has been going on intermittently for almost 3 weeks with the longest shut down being 4 consecutive days. The day after I took it back in and they couldn't find the problem, it worked well but as the day went on the air seemed to come out less and less until it quit. It has been working again now for the last 24 hours.

The blower on these has been a big problem on these and you are not the only one experiencing this. Toyota issued two bulletins on this system. One calls for the replacement on the blower because it makes a ticking noise (we have also seen them just outright fail). And the other calls for the replacement of the blower resister and the harness connector. We have seen these get very hot and start to melt the wiring.

It this were my personal truck, I would start with the connector and resister replacement as this is where we see most problems lie. You can try keeping it on MAX air flow and see if that helps for now as it bypass' the resister.

Genchi

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Funny you should mention that ticking noise because very recently I've heard a ticking sound.

Do you have any idea when those bulletins were put out by Toyota? They want to charge me to change the blower but if theres an issue with it I don't feel I should have to. What do you think? And by the way, thank you for your prompt answer.

The resister one was Oct 2011 and the blower one was earlier but was revised this same month. I agree with you on the issue but what you can do is approach the Service Director at the Dealer and present your idea/case and ask for a 'Goodwill' repair. It will be his/her discretion and usually works when one simply ask and is firm but not rude.

Genchi

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Alright I will try that! Thank you so much for your professional advice. I will let you know the outcome.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Aloha, Rena

My pleasure.

Genchi