Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

Gas smell after driving but no check engine light comes on..thud

gas smell after driving but no check engine light comes on. starting is different when hot, though, sometimes a bit of a thud.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer! How long has this bee happningfor? Any wor done to the car prior to the issue? Where on the car is the smell coming from exactly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hard to say. its just a leftover gas smell. not sure it can be specifically located.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
Can you elaborate on the specific questions I asked you above so that I can give you better guidance please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the gas smell has been there from the beginning of ownership, one person I spoke with over the phone thinks it may be normal, prior to my owning it it apparently had a valve adjustment at 127,000 with timing belt changed. I got it at 137,000. It now has 150,000. Perhaps these cars have a leftover gas smell as being normal, disspipating as they sit, but I also noticed the thudding with the hot starting process once in a while which might be not turning the key all the way to the right sometimes, but I wouldn't expect a thudding. if the gas smell, for the age of the car, is normal, i won't worry about it. someone mentioned possible fuel injector o-rings? thought i would try to get another opinion. sorry if the detail isn't there. there is also a bit of squealing coming from the belt-side but the belts are tight. someone said persaps a pully or something. is the gas smell normal? no leaking that I can tell and no leaks from what I can tell (oil or otherwise), but small gas leaks would evaporate, wouldn't they?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
id do see 3 injectors on one side. there may be 3 on the other. perhaps the smell is normal since the injectors appear to be plastic? not that that would matter. I don't know. just a little info.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
A fuel smell is NOT normal on this one.
If a valve adjustment was done on this car before you bought it then the fuel rail may have been removed with the intake. I would have all the fuel injector and fuel rail o-rings carefully checked for any seepage, most shops have a "sniffer" that can detect gasses such as fuel or r-134a leaks. THis needs to be utilized, you should be able to park this car in a sealed garage and NOT smell any fuel at all. Second thing that would cause this smell is if the gas tank was overfueled at some point the evap canister may be flooded with fuel and needs replacement.