Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

2005 toyota tundra: transmission fluid..4x4

how do i add transmission fluid to my 2005 toyota tundra 4x4, also do I need toyotas brand?

rmldaytona :

Hello.

rmldaytona :

First, yes, OEM Toyota fluid ONLY.

rmldaytona :

The transmission does not have a dipstick as you noticed. Automatic transmission correct?

rmldaytona :

You will notice that the drain plug has a main plug to drain and a center plug in the drain plug.

rmldaytona :

The transmission is filled through the center plug. Yes, it must be pumped through the small center plug. To acieve proper fluid fill, the transmissio fluid must be at 115deg F. Fill the fluid until it drizzles out of the small plug.

Full Size Image

rmldaytona :

Drive the vehicle, let the fluid cool. Repeat the process.

rmldaytona :

I like to fill the transmission. Overfill the unit, then pull the center plug until the fluid starts to drizzle out. This is at 115 deg F.

rmldaytona :

This is a clitical fill unit which means that a few ounces overfilled or underfilled will cause problems.

rmldaytona :

If you have further questions, please ask.

rmldaytona :

However, once satisfied pleace accept so I may be compensated. Thanks.

Customer:

can I drive vehicle at all with fluid that was in pan drained to achieve 115 degrees

rmldaytona :

Do not drive the vehicle with no fluid. Fill the fluid with the engine off, start the engine, top off as needed. Drive the vehicle, let the engine cool, repeat the fluid check and top off as needed. 115degF to 130 deg F is the temperature range.

Customer:

thank you

rmldaytona :

You are welcome