ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified

Toyota Corolla LE My car does not start.when I turn the key

Customer Question

My car does not start.when I turn the key all guages go up and back down like they normally do.but the starter don"t do anything.Battery is fully charge,and there"s 12.5 volts at starter when the key is turned.but starter dont do anything.

I removed starter and had it checked at auto parts,it chech out good.when I installed it back,I tried ti start it.it good for five times.I turned it off,and let it sit 15 minuts.I tried starting it again,it did not do a thing.
Im still getting battery voltage at starter.when I turn the key.but,starter don’t do anything.

Could this be a bad starter relay?if it is,where would it be located?CAN YOU SEND ME A DIAGRAM?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 2 years ago.

ToyotaTom :

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer to help you with your questions!

ToyotaTom :

You said you have battery voltage at the starter. The only other thing you can check is to make sure you have voltage at the exciter wire (the small wire that triggers the solenoid)

ToyotaTom :

If battery voltage is good, and you have power at the exciter wire, then it's a bad starter, plain and simple

ToyotaTom :

If you tried to manually jump power to the small solenoid wire from the big battery cable and still nothing happened, you can pretty much rule it a bad starter and not something else in the sequence ahead of the starter

ToyotaTom :

Depending on the mileage, it's probably about due to be replaced. But make sure you check to ensure that both the big battery wire has power, and the small exciter wire shows power when someone turns the key to try and start it. If they do, replace the starter. If not, let me know and I'll help you troubleshoot it further

ToyotaTom :

You have to remember that it is nothing more than a large electric motor. If there is a bad spot in the motor, it may do nothing, but if it turns a bit so it is not on the bad spot anymore, then it'll spin right over

ToyotaTom :

86

ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience: Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I"v already accepped your anser.but, can you still send me a diagram showing me where the starter relay is?
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 2 years ago.
you will need to crawl under the dash to get to it. IT is on the back of the fuse box that is under the drivers side dash. It will be the one relay that is by itself at the very top, next to a couple of the snap-lock connectors (large connector with a big arm that snaps down over the top locking it in).