Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Toyota Corolla is there a fuel pump relay of fuse for a 2005

is there a fuel pump relay of fuse for a 2005 toyota corolla? My fuel pump is not working.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

How did you determine that the fuel pump is not working? Did you run an actual fuel pump test or pressure test? Can you give me some history on the vehicle leading up to the problem of not starting?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It died on a interstate just hesistated a little and cut off.When I towed it home I ran a obd2 scan on it and it had no codes.I sprayed throttle body cleaner in the throttle body and it ran a little and cut back off when the cleaner dried up.So its not getting fuel.

When the key is in the start position do you get 12 V back to the fuel pump? Do you have a voltmeter and know how to check for this? When the key is in the on position is the check engine light illuminated? How many miles are on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The vehicle has about 90,000 miles on it.I have a test light but do not know which prong to test.The check engine light is on when the key is on.It does have a p0171 bank one systen to lean but it is pending.

Let me check the diagram and I will get back to you with some tests.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is my only transportation to work.I need it fixed.Is there a relay or fuse I can be checking for now.An 02 sensor wont cause it cut off and not crank, I dont think it will.have you replaced many fuel pumps?
Under the seat remove the inspection panel that will expose the plug that goes to the top of the fuel pump bracket assembly. The larger gauge wire which is black with a red line is the fuel pump power input line. Make sure you have a good connection on this wire any good ground on your test light and turn the key to the start position and see if the test light lights up. Let me know if you're getting 12 V there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
probe the black with red line and nothing.
Are you 100% certain that you have good contacts at the wire and ground on your test light? Next need you check for 12 V to all of the fuses in the fuse box under the hood pay particular attention to the EFI one and two fuses. Make sure the battery is fully charged and the key is in the on position back probe all of the fuses in the fuse box make sure power is on both sides of the fuses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
checked the fuses and good,but there is pnly one efi fuse I saw.Iwas a 20 amp yellow.
which engine do you have in this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1.8 vin r

There should also be a 15 amp EFI2 fuse next to the two headlights fuses. The 20 amp fuse is the main power supply to the circuit opening relay which controls the fuel pump. If you're 100% certain that the 20 amp fuse has power on both sides with the key in the on position and you do not have power to the black wire with a red line that the fuel pump this means is the circuit opening relay is not functioning or the computer is not energizing or turning on the circuit opening relay. Circuit opening relay is located on the back side of the junction block on the driver side instrument panel. This is where the other fuse box is located. If you reach your hand up onto the back side of this fuse box there is one large gray single wire probably 8 gauge and next to that are three relays that are exactly the same the first relay closest the passenger side of the circuit opening relay does a click when you turn the key to the start position? As a test you could swap that relay with the one next to it and see if the car starts or it clicks in the start position. Your other option to rule out whether not you also are dealing with the fuel pump problem is to run a jumper wire with 12 V directly to the black wire with a red tracer. You would need to tap into this wire with the connector plug-in otherwise you will also have removed the ground or use a jumper box and just use power on the black wire with a red line and ground on the white wire with a black line pins in the fuel pump bracket.

graphic

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic